Logo

Installing the outdrive

mike.l

Hi started to install the out-drive its a alpha gen 2 1999 year . i am a little puzzled when the speedometer tube passe through the gimble bearing. There is no form of seal of any description. The tube just passes through the hole and then on to a simple plastic connection if water goes through the hole its in with the gear connector and no way out until it freezes next winter and finds its own way out what am i missing Mike

HI Yes i have the workshop manual. and i know it doesn't go through the gimbel bearing piece of plastic tube would last 1 second in there. I should say the gimbel housing meaning the whole cast piece of aluminum that makes up the gimbel bearing. at the very lower end is a small plastic tube that goes from speedo pickup through a hole in base of gimbel housing it has no way to seal it from water going back in unless i have something missing mike

see page 4B-32 and 33 the hose comes from the top of the transom housing along the water hose to the lower unit.
Inside the boat at the transom housing is the fitting that takes the water pressure up to the gauge.

see page 4B-32 and 33 the hose comes from the top of the transom housing along the water hose to the lower unit.
Inside the boat at the transom housing is the fitting that takes the water pressure up to the gauge.
Hi after putting the pipe through the hole and trying to assemble the drive i realized the speedometer tube goes under the housing as its down with the shift shoe after that it was all clear and went together very easy as i could join the 2 halves after with the outdrive lifted up in trailer position Guess sometimes i over think things and make it more complicated than it is thanks for help think i have the old boat all together now been a long haul since i started rebuilding the engine back in november

Back