Logo

Installing new impeller 1989 70 HP Johnson

jerry

What is the procedure to unho

What is the procedure to unhook the shifting rod at the motor? I cann't see the top of rod on right side. Do I need to remove the VRO pump on left side to see what I'm doing? Thanks Jerry

"Jerry..... No, you don't

"Jerry..... No, you don't have to remove the VRO. That 3/8" hex head shoulder screw is somewhat hard to see but this is the procedure I use.

Spin the prop so that the shift clutch dogs will line up properly with the gears and shift the lower unit into reverse gear. That will lower the top of the shift rod so that you can see it (barely).

Use a 1/4" ratchet extension shaft of sufficent length to reach in and back out the 3/8" bolt. Use a 1/4" drive universal socket of 3/8" size on the end of that extension. I use a adapter (1/4" shaft to 3/8" ratchet) on the hand end of the extension shaft so that I can use a 3/8 ratchet.

Use Flexible Mechanical Fingers (a long cable like tool that opens grabbing fingers on the end when you press a button on the hand end) to remove and install that shoulder screw. Be sure not to lose the lockwasher. It's a good idea to put a little sealer on the underside of the screw head to retain the lockwasher.

Once the screw is out, put the shift lever into forward position to keep it out of the way when you reinstall the lower unit.

Note that the shift rod is threaded into the lower unit shift assy, and the measurement is critical. DO NOT MOVE (screw it in or out) the shift rod from its original position.

Before you reinstall the lower unit, spin the prop and push the shift rod down into the reverse gear position. This will allow you to see the hole in the top of the shift rod which will allow you to turn it slightly if necessary to align the shift clevis as you slowly move the shift lever back into the reverse position.

Joe
"

You remove the hitch pin on t

You remove the hitch pin on the starboard side of the motor.Push the lever to the port side. No bolts to remove on the shift rod. Sparky

"Jerry.... It slipped my mind

"Jerry.... It slipped my mind that the 1989 model did not use the shoulder screw but rather utilized a clevis pin. Disreguard all that pertains to the 3/8" shoulder bolt. The rest of my post holds true.

Joe
"

" I wanted to change my impell

" I wanted to change my impeller on my `94 Johnson 60 hp tiller. Got the lower uinit to drop down , but couldn't find the clevis or hitch pin. Had the shift & throtle linkage off as well as the shift points bracket and still could not see the clevis or hitch pin. I could see the joint where the shift rod comes and meets the shift arm. It looks like a washer with a dome in the midlle and I even tried to pop that off, but it did not work. As you can guess, I am really confused by this. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Gerard "

TTT - Please any comments abo

TTT - Please any comments about my about post?

Gerard Hellenbrand

Back