Logo

Installing a transom shower

holinwtr

Regular Contributor
Merc L6 #1 drive raw water cooled. Wondering if its possible to plumb the transom shower straight to the unused 3/4" port on the engine water pump? Will the water be cold- warm- or scalding a@% HOT?

I thought maybe that was the port used for the heater hose on automobile's. The only difference is my boat does not have a closed cooling system. Which means, I think, that the water coming through the water pump is always whatever temperature the lake is. Right?

Don't think so...lake water goes thru the T'stat assy. 1st then blends w/hot water going to the pump via the big hose.

Nope,... No Good,... That port is the heater Return,....
It's a low pressure Return port....

The heater feed port has to come from the head, or atleast Before the T-stat....

If ya pull that plug, it'll be pumpin' air through the block...

Nope,... No Good,... That port is the heater Return,....
It's a low pressure Return port....

The heater feed port has to come from the head, or atleast Before the T-stat....

If ya pull that plug, it'll be pumpin' air through the block...
Ditto Bill.
On the raw water cooled engine, the Circ Pump is pulling in sea water from the multi-ported T-Stat housing.
The T-stat housing pretty much has an endless supply of sea water.
From there, it then charges the engine block with this now called "coolant".
The coolant hasn't reach temp until it passes through the engine block.

If you want hot coolant, tap into the system just ahead of thermostat like Bill suggests.
Now you'll not only get hot coolant, but you'll realize the mild pressure that the circ pump provides (not the sea water pump).

Keep in mind that if your system was to leak, it will be taking coolant away from engine and exhaust demands.
Not a terrible amount, but it may cause an issue if the leak was large enough.

Last edited:
I haven't owned an I-6 since 1978. Thanks for the info boys; I remembered it had something to do with the heater...just had it bass akwards...LOL.

Thanks for the info guys. Not sure I want to go to all that trouble plumbing up a shower that I might use 3 or 4 times a year. Also doesn't seem worth it on a 35 year old boat. It's good to know how the water actually flows through the engine and manifold though. Thanks again

Back