Logo

Installed new prop, now its whining literally!

Chris Williams

I had a beat up 4 blad prop and wanted to get a 3 blade which folks seem to like better for my boat. I remove the old prop easily, there was grease there which was good, cleaned it completely out, and installed the new prop on top of the exisiting thrust washer. The prop came with a spider type nut, but the original used a washer and then nut and cotter pin so I did that method, tightened it all up, and it runs great BUT when I firt go from like 0-6 mpg there is a distinct whine or almost howl. Doesnt happen in neutral and the gearbox seems ok, I have changed the fluid in it twice in past month to flush it out and used Hondas final drive fluid.

Very odd since it never happened with the beat 4 blade, but it doesnt sound right to me

Also is it normal that the thrust washer wouldnt come off by hand? I think the book says you need a puller and I didn;t do that so maybe i need to? thank you
Chris

Need more info.

What size engine?

What brand prop did you take off?

What brand prop did you put on?

You should not need a puller to take off the thrust washer. It may just be stuck.

If they are different brand props, they may use different thrust washers.

One more question...does the prop rotate freely, without rubbing, when you turn it by hand in neutral?

Mike

It is a 2002 Honda 90 Outboard.

The old prop was an solas and the new one is the a solas. The size and pitch are the same, just 3 blades instead of 4.

The odd thing is that before I changed it when rotating it by hand there was a spot with resistance, but after I changed it, that spot is gone and it spins freely.

I think I should have probably pulled the thrust washer, I tapped it gently with a wooden dowel to free it but it didnt go, I need to get a longer gear puller to remove it since it is stuck, I can try some pb blaster on it too if you think thats ok.

Maybe there is stuff behind it?

If the tthrust washer doesn't slide off easily, it needs to be replaced. They can develope a "step" on the inside diameter that can make them difficult to remove. Maybe you reinstalled the thrust washer backward. That will eat your propshaft seal and needs to be corrected asap.

Sorry, just saw your update and you didn't get the thrust washer off. OK. If it is stuck, a puller is ideal but I get them off all the time with two pry bars used 180 degrees from each other. Usually a good "pop" on each bar simultaneously will get it to move. However, some are harder than others and you are prying against the propshaft holder flange so use some caution and try and hold your tongue just right.
When you get it off, you will probably find that there is indeed some stuff like fishing line in there. Number one killer of propshaft seals. The thrust washer will also probably show signs of grooving on the inner thrust face. Yet another sign that it needs replacement.
Buy two and check behind it often for fishing line. Your lower end will thank you.

The thrust washer certainly is a problem. I am not sure if it is the only problem.

Does the problem go away if you put your old prop on it?

Is your new prop a solas made for a Honda?

Have you checked your gearlube to see if anything is going on inside your lower unit.

Make sure you have tightened it properly and use plenty of grease on the prop shaft and thrust washer.

I have found that the solas props do whine somewhat when used with 40 - 60 HP, but have also had an issue with a new 90. No matter what prop I tried, I still had the whine. If I changed the pitch, the whine occurred at a different rpm. There was something about the resonance of the gearcase causing the prop to act like a tuning fork.

I installed a composite prop and the whine went away.

Mike

Thanks for the info, I think you may be right on about the resonance. Thats just what it sounds like, much more so that a real noise.

The good news is that I put some PB Blaster on the washer, and bought a puller but barely used it, and it did pop right off, the washer looks in perfect shape once wiped up, it was on correctly and the seal looked excellent.

I actually changed the final drive fluid two times in two weeks just be sure its all good and new, and it went fine.

I think you are right on about the noise, but I did grease it all again, torqued the nut to the 75NM spec in the manual, put the cotter pin on and we will have to see if its different.

Thank you again to all for the help and advice with this one!

Back