Logo

Inconsistent starting problems 89' Mariner 75 hrs 3 cyl outboard! Input please!

sliefdog

I bought 16 ft fish/ski boat with 89' Mariner 75 hrs outboard (3 cyl). Originally had water in tank problems so I put in larger in line water filter/canister set-up. Have only burned 3 tanks of gas since purchased and replaced water filter (2nd one) as engine sputtered at times and start-up problems. After new filter is put in it seemed to start better for a time. I mention this only since water issues still may be a variable with start problems. Initially engine started right up but has progressively been harder to get started---ranging from 5-15min up to an hour or so. Though after it gets started initially it seems to run just fine and starts up ok----while fishing over 3-5 hours/day with many starts and stops it runs alright. Also, whenever I squeeze the gas bulb it readily floods engine; last time I squeezed bulb (while parked in my drive) gas ran out the engine which is a first I have noticed. Typically I have not had to squeeze bulb to start if I use it 1x/week. During start-up it doesn't act like it has consistent spark----there is no engine pop for a good while then it just starts, which seems odd if it is actually sparking like it is supposed to. A few weeks ago I checked the stator and switch box (with a $25 multimeter) and it seemed to check out alright, but still questioned how accurate this was. Also, I do not burn any ethanol, only the good stuff. Only run engine in fresh water. Any thoughts/input is appreciated. Thank You! David

Back