Logo

In need of help starting my 1987 Johnson 8 horse Sailmaster.

Will777

Hello! I am new to outboard maintenance and could use some advice on how to get my motor to turn over. I have a service manual on order. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Will,

First thing first - ALL of the experienced motor guys on this site are going to ask you these questions, so please provide answers:

1. What is the exact model number of your motor?
2. What is the compression test numbers for both cylinders?
3. Did you do a proper spark test? Results?
4. When was the last time this motor was running properly?
5. What have you done to this motor thus far in your efforts to get her running?

Start here. We will need the above questions answered to properly help you.

CMOS :eek:

Will,

First thing first - ALL of the experienced motor guys on this site are going to ask you these questions, so please provide answers:

1. What is the exact model number of your motor?
2. What is the compression test numbers for both cylinders?
3. Did you do a proper spark test? Results?
4. When was the last time this motor was running properly?
5. What have you done to this motor thus far in your efforts to get her running?

Start here. We will need the above questions answered to properly help you.

CMOS :eek:
Thank you for your quick response! It is a Belgium model JSRLCUD. I have not run a compression or a spark plug test yet. I was told that it ran three years ago. I have hooked up the gas, choked it and pulled the cord with no result. Fuel is getting to the plugs. I dried them and tried again. This motor does have an electric start but I have not tried it. I will get the test information as soon as I can. Thanks again!

They do not show an electric start for that motor,maybe take a pic. Is this a tiller motor, if it is, does it have a red button at the end of the handle.

They do not show an electric start for that motor,maybe take a pic. Is this a tiller motor, if it is, does it have a red button at the end of the handle.

I see where you are going with this - my research shows that these models, at least the US models, do have the Kill Switch on the tiller handle. I'll try to load a generic pic in this post:

WILL, does your motor have the Red Kill Switch at the very end of the tiller handle like the one in this image? If so, you need the key for that button. WITHOUT the key the Kill Switch will ground your ignition system, and obviously prevent the motor from starting.

CMOS

8HP.jpg

Sorry. I gave the model number from memory. The actual number is J8SRLCUD. I was attempting to send a picture of it but haven't been able to download it yet. Your picture looks just like mine. Mine just says sailmaster.

It is just a safety clip you can get order it. For now to get it started just take a zip tie and pull the center of the button out and zip tie it out. Leave the zip tie loose so you can cut it off when you get the clip.

Hi Scott! I pulled out the red button and fastened it open with a zip tie, like you instructed, and it started with the first pull. It sounds ok but a bit smokey in my shed. Possibly a little rich? Of course, it hasn't been run for at least two years. Thanks again for the help! Hopefully this thread will help someone else, down the line.

Hi Scott! I pulled out the red button and fastened it open with a zip tie, like you instructed, and it started with the first pull. It sounds ok but a bit smokey in my shed. Possibly a little rich? Of course, it hasn't been run for at least two years. Thanks again for the help! Hopefully this thread will help someone else, down the line.
Now change the water pump

Back