Logo

Improving Cold Start Up--QuadraJet Carbs

fastjeff

Gold Medal Contributor
1986 305 hp Alpha One, 4 barrel carb. Motor was a dog until it warmed up, stalling repeatedly and once causing a collision with the dock. (My fault--I panicked.)

I messed with this for some time, trying this and that, before totally solving the problem. Motor now fires up like it had EFI! Here's what I did:

Add more closed choke tension by bending the heat stove linkage. Then reduce the amount the choke pull off can deliver by bending the vertical tag on the lever. You want the maximum choke opening with the pull off fully engaged to be about 1/4 inch. (It was double that on mine.)

For cold starting, one of two pumps of the throttle closes the choke and squirts a bit of gas in there. Then leave the throttle just into the advancing range--a few degrees past neutral--and turn the key. Motor fires right up, idles about 2 grand, and stays there. After 10 seconds or so it will engage the gears without stalling.

Jeff

Correct, but giving the throttle a few pumps adds a squirt of fuel.

Us, with our auto mechanic mentality, sometimes forget that there's no cold idle speed cams on marine engines.

Jeff

Back