Logo

Impellers

"Mike,
Not knowing exactly

"Mike,
Not knowing exactly what engines and years you have makes it harder for us to be totally accurate.Follow your hose from the sea-water valve(need to be closed if boats in the water) past your strainer and that should lead you into your water pump.If you have 454's like I do from the early 90's you need to remove the belt and pump from the engine and remove the cover to it.Before removing the impeller...notice the angle of the fins.Now remove it.Put some dish soap on the new impellar and then install by twisting it slightly to end up with it the same direction as the old one was.Make sure you are on the keyway or in some cases a woodruff key.After getting it in, turn the pulley a little in the direction of not flipping the fins backwards, to make sure that the impellar is also turning.Replace cover with new gasket and install the pump back to the engine.Its not hard at all and you should know how to do this in the event one breaks out on the water.I personally always carry a spare pump as thats easier to replace while bouncing around, and then repair at the marina.Just a thought.Give it a try...you can do it."

My boat is a 1984 model with 3

My boat is a 1984 model with 350 crusaders. The impeller is at the back of the waterpump and belt. There is a support brace held by bolts right in front ot the impeller housing. Should the pump be removed in order to get to the impeller?

Back