Logo

impeller housing question 115 EFI

Blue_Sky

Contributing Member
Did a re-seal of lower unit and new impeller etc. It dawned on me a day later that I forgot the darn 'face seal' (part #861415) on top of the water-pump housing that goes around the shaft and sits do, is this crucial for function at all? I was under the impression it's just a 'dust seal' so to speak, not anything to do with suction etc. I was in a rush and bolted the thing back up, now the batteries are out, engine is trimmed down and boat is covered.. not thrilled about having to undo it again. Thoughts? Thanks all in advance...

It serves a 2 part function...1) as a slinger to keep water from climbing shaft to splines at low RPM's ..... 2) Seals exhaust out of impeller housing. Is it needed ?? Factory thought so.

It serves a 2 part function...1) as a slinger to keep water from climbing shaft to splines at low RPM's ..... 2) Seals exhaust out of impeller housing. Is it needed ?? Factory thought so.
Yeah, I guess I was trying to convice myself otherwise... thank you for taking the time to respond I appreciate the info!

Back