Logo

impeller drive key for NS70A2

SaltyScot

Regular Contributor
Are these NLA like I imagine they are? Has anyone tried matching a Mercury/Mariner one? Someone tried making one on this motor (that I just acquired) by bending a nail or similar. It slid a bit, but still worked. However, the impeller they used was too small. It pumped at first and then stopped after about 5-10 seconds. I believe I found the correct impeller. Any ideas on the drive key?

Stephen

I did confirm that they are seriously NLA, so I ordered a couple keys for Mercurys. I'll start there by grinding on them. Shouldn't be too hard. Maybe even a cut drill bit that fits the impeller groove would work.

Someone took the lower unit down to replace the impeller. They put too small an impeller in (lost the key or it was previously lost) and somehow misaligned the output tube and pump housing. Then they bolted it down while misaligned and gouged out the housing. I realigned it and resealed the damaged housing with heavy gutter mastic and least now it pumps, but needs the right size impeller(35365-0210M). Which should be here any moment.

Yeah, this is temporary solution. I just have to finally get this boat and motor out and test it this weekend. Been messing with it too long with no results. I have a few Mercury drive keys on the way.

Back