Logo

impeller blade position

eastcoastitalian

Contributing Member
I know this is probably a stupid question,but i was hoping someone may be able to help me out.i took my water pump off some time ago and now when installing the new one i can't remember which direction the curl of the impeller blades goes?? This is a 1987 mercruiser 165 four cylinder engine,clockwise rotation when looking at front of engine at balancer. Alpha one gen one drive,same year as motor.any help is much appreciated, thanks

if your holding the water pump housing in your right hand, insert the impeller with a counterclockwise motion into the housing,.

If your impeller has a CURL to it then for ~$25 get a new one..........a sign of aging and wear is the blades curled..........new ones are straight.

I took my water pump off some time ago and now when installing the new one i can't remember which direction the curl of the impeller blades goes??
The vertical shaft will rotate CW when looking down upon it.
Spin the shaft in a CW direction while inserting the impeller..... and the vanes will correct themselves.

Use glycerin on the impeller as to lubricate it until primed.

This is a 1987 mercruiser 165 four cylinder engine,
The 165 is a 250 cu in 6 cylinder engine, but I believe that it was out of production by 1987.

clockwise rotation when looking at front of engine at balancer.
All engine rotation is determined as though viewing the flywheel end.
Your engine will be Standard LH rotation... aka Counter Clockwise rotation.

He has the venerable 170/470 merc 4 cylinder.........some were also 165's........they were all over the place with that motor......

Back