Logo

Ignition Wire came off

rburke

So I was looking at my engine tonight (Johnson VRO 90 model J90TLESB) and saw one of the wires came loose from where it seats on the spark plug. The boot was still attached to the spark plug, but the wire came out of that boot. Is it as simple as jamming it back in there or is there some repair I need to make to re-connect the wire to the plug boot? (I am sure its not called a plug boot but hopefully you know what I mean).

Thank you!

Thanks! I got 4 new wires from the marina, 20 bucks each for Johnson OEM wires and I will be replacing today as soon as I get to the lake! I am learning a ton about this motor and am very grateful for all the help.

But that Amazon option is a good deal, i did see that but decided i wanted OEM. Not sure if it makes a real difference or not but for a few extra bucks i went with it.

Some say------" The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten "------Anybody can make a product a little cheaper for less money.

There is a spring like affair that pokes into the wire.----Then the boot slides over.-----There are folks who have motor issues and are pulling sparkplugs 10 times a week.-----Blaming fouling plugs for problems !------That might cause wire to pull out.------Folks need to trouble shoot and find the real problem.

yep the OEM wire requires you to build the connection, have to stab the wire with the spring and slide over the boot. First one was a bit tricky but it got easier. I now have 4 brand new, solidly built wires that I will replace. Thank you!

A likely the reason the spark plug wire was pulled out of place is when fitting the cowling onto the engine the clearance is very tight and it's easy for the rear latches to catch on the wires, pulling them off. Be extra careful when placing the cowling on the motor.

Back