Logo

Ignition problems on a 1985 85hp Johnson

dnstommy

"I am new to outboards, but ha

"I am new to outboards, but have been building car engines for 15 years now. I am trying to diagnose a condition I have right now where I do not get spark on an plugs. It is a v4. I have been told that the issue may be a dead CPI? or Powerpack. (all the coils and sensor wires are wired into it) How can I diag the CPI? My first thought is when I turn the key off, what does that kill? I would liek to check there first and make sure I have 12 volts / ground there.

Thanks for any help anyone can be.

Chris Auer
Sarasota Fl."

"There's a large harness c

"There's a large harness connector under the engine cover. Disconnect that. Then use jumper cables to turn the engine over directly to the starter. If you now have spark you have a bad ignition swith, bad kill switch, or a wiring issue."

"I will try that, but I dont h

"I will try that, but I dont have a problem getting it to crank, I have no spark. I was wondering how to check for power @ the CPI to diag if the SPI is dead. Looking online the CPI is only $100, so maybe just replacing it isn't too bad."

"Chris.... You are misreading

"Chris.... You are misreading Sleeper's reply. Sleeper is telling you to disconnect that large RED electrical plug to eliminate the instrument wiring harness, the ignition switch etc, not to check a cranking problem.

However, with that red plug disconnected, you Cannot crank the engine via the ignition switch, therefore you need to crank the engine by jumping the starter solenoid. Do this with the spark plugs out/removed!

Now, when cranking via jumping the starter solenoid, you find that you have spark, but do not when the RED plug is connected, in all probability the ignition switch is shorted. If this is the case, replace the switch."

"Thanks for the update. Did as

"Thanks for the update. Did as stated and still have no spark. Looks like the powerpack is dead. I'll get a new one tomorrow, unless I have to order it, and see if she runs. Thanks for the great info guys. Hopefully I can learn more about outboards and lend some knowlege back to the board."

"UPDATE
I got a new powerpack

"UPDATE
I got a new powerpack, installed it and i HAD spark. Then I changed the plugs, got new gas, get everything ready and now I don't have spark again? How strong are powerpacks? Could one died that fast? Is there anything I am missing? I had spark 30 minutes ago, now I have nothing.

I rested unplugging the bug red plug and powering it, still no spark."

Power packs will last years an

Power packs will last years and years.Bad grounds are a common cause of faults.What is the condition of the wiring harness from where it plugs into the motor to the control box.What are the OHM readings on the charge coils and sensor coils.Good trouble shooting is the way to go.

"Here is what I have so far. T

"Here is what I have so far. The wiring harness looks good all around. It is old, but it is in nice shape. I measure the cranking voltage from BLK/Y to BLK and got 190 volts. I measured the ohms from Brown to Brown/Y and got 680 ohms.

Can you tell me how to test the charge coils and sensor coils. Should I just go ahead and unbolt the flywheel?

Here are some pics
http://www.tomshosting.com/pack.gif"
http://www.tomshosting.com/cover.gif""

"You motor is not a 1985 , Wh

"You motor is not a 1985 , What have you got?????? MODEL NUMBER is required."

Check all your wiring grounds.

Check all your wiring grounds. Check senser coils.Also if the motor does not crank fast enuff you will NOT have spark. So check the condition of the starter(by taking it apart) and perhaps the battery.

"I will clean up all the groun

"I will clean up all the grounds. When I have the charger on 200AMPs it really cranks over so I dont think it is that. The battery has taken a hit, so I am buying a new one tomorrow.

Can you tell me what/where the senser coils are? Once my shop manual gets here, maybe some more of this will make sense.

Thanks again."

Sensors are under the flywheel

Sensors are under the flywheel and the wires are indeed marked at the powerpack

Back