Logo

Idling/Stalling problem 1994 50hp Johnson J50TLERE

Dave1956

Starts and idles OK on muffs in driveway and can shift into forward or reverse without stalling. Have done this 3 or 4 times and always seems to run OK. When I launch in lake I have much trouble starting and motor stalls when I try to shift into gear.
Have installed new control cables. This motor has no idle speed adjustment screw at the carb shafts so have to try and control idle speed with throttle cable length setting. Since there is considerable slack in the linkage from the cable up to the carb shafts it is almost impossible to achieve a constant idle setting.
To try and solve the slack problem I made bracket with a screw and spring directly above the linkage plate on the top carb shaft. With this screw I can precise set and repeat idle speed setting.
But I still have same starting/stalling problem on lake.
Any suggestions?

Start your trouble shooting with a compression test.------Post your numbers.----Note----- they all run great on a hose.---Even in gear it is still neutral as the prop does no work !

Tested 150 and 148 before I got the motor. Forgot to post that is runs fine at all speeds above idle after finally getting it started in the lake.

If that is your model # you posted it is a 2 stroke and has no IAC. You need a manual as there is a idle adjustment screw on cam lever and on carb. You cannot adjust on hose as need backpressure, in a barrel or lake to adjust.....

Back