Logo

idle speed adjustment 100hp

Beckoning

1989, 4cyl, 100hp, oil injection, 4 carbs. How to adjust idle speed? In neutral, runs about 1,000 rpm so there is a significant "clunk" when putting into gear. How to adjust speed down? Do I do the adjustment at the lower cable turning the turnbuckle clockwise? Where to get a free service manual?

Do not do a link and sync on that motor without a FACTORY manual. I also dont think that is your problem. That motor idles on the top 2 cylinders so the link and sync really cannot be done without a factory manual. What you are describing does not sound abnormal for that motor they will clunk going into gear. Idle rpm is set running in gear and warm on the lake. Is this boat and motor new to you? Are you making smooth fast shifts? Get a service manual before you work on the motor. My 125 Mercury had a good clunk going into gear

Last edited:
Flyingscott, Thank you. I'm adept mechanically, however I wasn't about to try to sync up 4 carburetors. I'm glad you reminded me that it idles on 2 cylinders - overall an ingenious design. Oil injection plus an all-mechanical approach to switching from 2 cylinders to 4 cylinders at about 2,000 rpm makes for a very reliable engine. So far, knock on wood, it has been very durable. I only use it to go 3 miles out on Lake Michigan to start trolling (using a kicker motor), then coming back in 3 miles. Each round trip is about 30 minutes, thus 20 trips maximum per year is only 10 hours of use each summer, plus a few spins around the lake with the grandkids and I may put on 10-12 hours per year. Great engine.

I do have an online manual, and it specifies that there is no traditional idle speed adjustment. Rather, adjusting the idle speed (as you say, when the engine is at normal operating temperature and under load, thus in gear) is accomplished by adjusting the idle speed ignition timing vis-a-vis the stop screw on the long bracket that terminates under the flywheel. The adjusting screw on the bracket causes the bracket to slightly retard the timing, thus slowing the engine. I wish I could take a photo to show you. My plan is to lower the boat while in its hoist, start the engine and allow it to completely warm up, put it in gear at idle speed (it can't go anywhere in the hoist), then adjust the bracket stop screw slightly to see if and how it affects the idle speed.

Your thoughts?

It may be my imagination but it seems the "clunking" when going from neutral to forward, has become more pronounced, thus I'm trying to reduce the idle speed to decrease the clunking and presumably reducing the gear wear.

Adjusting the idle speed on an outboatd with the timing is very common on outboard motors. Have you checked the lower unit fluid for metal shavings. The boat should be free and idling in gear to set the idle. A lot of manuals specifically say not to tie the boat up. I highly recomend a factory msnual for that motor.

Back