Logo

Idle slowly decreasing

Georgiaboy67

Advanced Contributor
Man the problems never stop. I have a 97 evinrude 115. It has a remanufactured block that I had put on in February this year. (2016) They had the idle set at roughly 1000 rpms in neutral. As I continued to use it since, the idle has slowly been dropping. If I try to gun it it will bog down and die, if Ijust slowly throttle down it won't die. The old block blew two years ago, had a full tank of gas that sat for 2 years. Yes it was pumped out when the new block was put on. The fuel pump was replaced, carbs were rebuilt, and for a while it ran great. Still on plane it runs stronger then ever. But the idle has slowly crawled down and nothing has been touched besides new plugs.. Help! Please!

It not a block problem....check to see if upper linkage has moved and is set up correctly.
Top pic is incorrect and bottom is correct

Attachments

• wrong.jpg
    wrong.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 37
  • right.jpg
    right.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 30
Thanks! I will look at it when I get off work today
and post my findings! I have not taken it to a shop yet. I'm on the verge on letting it go. Kinda want a new bass boat anyway!! Would you know wjere the idle set screw is at btw? Or how to adjust the upper linkage

And also, just outta curiousity so I understand it, how can it effect the idle? Since I looked at it this morning it's definitely in the wrong per the picture you posted!

Update* adjusted the upper linkage, that was simple enough so far lol, didn't change anything, what next to check? Idk why my idle rpms keep dropping!!

Engine idle speed is dependent on ignition timing disconect the throttle cable and set idle speed with the idle stop screw and use the locking nut then adjust the control cable to fit there in neutral? Have you tried snugging the carbs down again after the engine has fully cooled down. Do not overtighten the carbs.

I cannot seem to locate this idle stop screw. This site actually had the oem service manual in stock for this motor finally(not the selocs) so I just ordered it! Seems that I really need it. I haven't touched the carbs, I honestly don't trust myself enough just yet to fool with them. I'm waiting on my manual to arrive before I mess with those. The situation that I've run into may have been worded bad. The idle Rpms were set roughly 900-1000 in neutral. When I got this 2nd block put on, it ran STRONG. It runs strong once you get passed idle so far. Before the idle was high like they had set it, and every time I got on the water it had dropped just a little bit more each time. Now it's really low, and if I try to gun it the motor shuts off. I was thinking it could be the power pack. It's the original too. Everything else original is making its way to crapping out. The starter was bad, the flywheel lost teeth(due to bad starter) replaced both, both ignition coils went bad, plug wires were rough looking, I wouldn't be surprised if it is the culprit but I wanted some advice before I spent $250-$330 on a new power pack lol

Was anything on fuel system been altered since rebuild. Has carb been pulled, cleaned ,low speed jets looked at,Has a compression test been done since rebuild ?has a spark test been done also?

Nothingvhas been touched, and they didn't rebuild it, it's remanufactured, most (rebuilds) consist of just fixing whats broken, emanufactured is replacing every block part, cylinders, pistons etc. compression was 120 on all 4, though Ivwill say that the spark was quite weak compared to what I thought it should look like, carbs were rebuilt when reman powerhead was put on, new plugs, water pump, and a new fuel pump.

But the problem has come up by just simply driving it. The more I used it, the weaker the idle rpm has become. Haven't done any adjusting to anythingfor it to do this, it's happened on its own, I'm worried it being either a powerpack or a stator

When your motor was reassembled did they replace the OIS sensor. On that motor once the idle goes like that that is where I would start.

Back