Logo

idle problems.... need help please 1972 25hp

I have a 1972 25hp evinrude.....25202. I just recently rebuilt the carb and replaced new spark plugs and it ran GREAT. this motor is looks and runs good. well, i had to store my motor in the trunk of my car for about two weeks until we moved into our new place and get our garage set up. now the motor is idling very ruff. she is breaking up a little but runs mostly pefect when w/o. most of the time when im in no wake zone i have to feather the throttle just to keeps her running smoothe. could this be just a simple spark plug problem? or points and cond.s? or just from leaving on the side in my trunk all day for 2 weeks? i wouldnt think that would hurt anything........i always runs fuel out of her before storing. please help!

Re: idle problems.... need help please

Maybe bouncing around in the trunk of your car broke some crud loose in the fuel system, you might remove the carb and check float level and blow out the idle passages.

yeah i will have to check that out. do you think maybe a crack in the fuel line would cause it to sputter at idle?

it has most likely done something to your cabrs laying on its side for 2 weeks re clean the carbs and it should be good to go again.
and if it was a cracked fuel line then it would have a hard time starting up (thats if it would even start up) and would give you problems no matter what rpm the engine was ran at.

Possibly the slow speed adjustment got moved somewhat.

Clean or install new plugs.

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)
Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

Note 1: As a final double check setting of the slow speed valve(s), if the engine has more than one carburetor, do not attempt to gradually adjust all of the valves/carburetors at the same time. Do one at a time until you hit the above response (die out or spit back), then go on to the next valve/carburetor. It may be necessary to back out "all" of the slow speed adjustable needle valves 1/8 turn before doing this final adjustment due to the fact that one of the valves might be initially set ever so slightly lean.

Note 2: If the engine should be a three (3) cylinder engine with three (3) carburetors, start the adjustment sequence with the center carburetor.
When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Let us know if this corrects the idle problem or not.

thanks. i definately will. it will be at least two weeks. i do have one more question.......is there a way to hook up a hose to this older motor? i know the newer ones you can and mostly just get a barrel of water with the older ones but i was wondering if there is a way to maybe rig something up to be able to hook it up to a hose? where i live i cannot store a barrel of water. (appartments)

also......sometimes i have to start it with the choke pulled. other wise it wont start. it was running great after i cleaned carb but storing it kinda messed it up i guess.

starting with the choke is fine, thats what it's made for, there was an old system you could hook up to the old club foot motors, I do not think BRP sells them anymore. If you can find an old timer whose been in the business forever he might have one in the back with all the old junk. (which is now worth a ton)

Just run the engine in a large plastic trash can. Have the water level 2 or 3 inches above the join area where the lower unit bolts up.

Back