Logo

Idle problem on 2001 90 hp ocean pro

H

help

I have a 2001 90 hp johnson th

I have a 2001 90 hp johnson the compresson is 120 +or- 5psi the spark looks good but the port side 2 cylinders I can take the plug wire off 1 cylinders at a time and the idle does not change if I do that on the right side the motor will die also if I only throttle the port side the rpm do not change much.any ideas motor heads?

"Clearly the port side cylinde

"Clearly the port side cylinders are not operating. Check to see if they have spark. If so, it is likely a fuel problem and you should check the two carbs on the port side. if no spark, the SLOW system may be active. Make sure the motor is not overheating, and unplug the port temp sensor (two wire sensor on the cylinder head). if spark returns, the sensor is likely bad. if not you need to trouble shoot the coil pack or powerpack. Get an OEM manual. they sell them on this site for a good price."

Also check all rubber plug con

Also check all rubber plug connectors. It has happened that wires can break off from the pin or socket within the plugs BUT will still have the wire remain inside the plug.

It has also happened that the pin or socket could be pushed back slightly resulting in a poor connection.

spark is good so it sounds lik

spark is good so it sounds like a carb problem.But it seems to run good at high RPM's.

"Normally if the compression a

"Normally if the compression and spark are as they should be, the problem falls back on the carburetor(s)."

the guy I bought the boat from

the guy I bought the boat from said the boat has not been run in a couple of years .Is there a recommend way to clean the carbs or do you suggest I start help jump the economy and bring it to the dealer?

"Cleaning/rebuilding those car

"Cleaning/rebuilding those carburetors does not require rocket science mentality, but make notes, take pictures. Do not rely on memory as to how linkages hook up etc.

Sitting for two years.... the carburetors are no doubt fouled. Make it a point to manually clean the high speed jets that are located in the bottom center portion of the float chambers with a piece of single strand steel wire, solvent just doesn't do a proper job on those jets.

It would be a good idea to purchase a good service manual for the engine if you intend to keep it for awhile.... avoid expensive mistakes.

When time permits, visit my eBay store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Back