Logo

idels fine does not run out 1958 35 hp Johnson

Eric R. Moore

First thanks for you help, I have a 1958 35 hp Johnson sea horse it starts easy enough and seems to idle fine, however when i give it full throttle it does not speed up to the rpm's it should. I don't have a tach on it but I'm guessing it is only getting up somewhere around 1500 to 2000 rpm and I'm not sure where to start. I have cleaned the carb, and have made adjustments on it but it which have made made no difference in the way it runs. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
It may very well be running on on cylinder.--------It has a duel ignition system , one coil, points and condenser for each.-------------So check to see that you have spark on each cylinder.---Laying the plug on the block is not a good test.----Spark must jump a gap of 1/4 " or better to be " good "-----If that is good then do a compression test.

Well I checked the compression and I have a 120 psi in both cylinders the spark on both plugs are jumping a well over a 1/4 inch i have pulled the fly wheel off and what i can see of the coils look good one set of points seems to look a little worn, not that i could really tell just looking at it. what next?

Good spark and good compression , then it must be a fuel problem.-----------Have you looked at the reed valves / crankcase compression ??----- Revisit your carburetor work.-----------Is this motor running with a fuel pump or a pressure tank ??

Back