Logo

Ibm lost

The port engine in my F 32 was

The port engine in my F 32 was in boxes when I bought it. I really don't have a clue what the history is. I have had to buy lots of parts to complete the rebuild. I cranked it yesterday and immedialy notice something was not right. I thought the carb. needed building but today when I tried to start it again it wouldn't turn over. I have water in all 8 cylinders and the pan. I have pulled the heads and drained everything to preserve the lower end but why do I have water in the cylinders? Heads could be wrong. I don't know. Any help. Don

"Hey Don - some questions....

"Hey Don - some questions....

Is it raw water cooled and, if so, is the boat in the water at the moment....or are you hose-feeding it when trying to start it?

How long did you you attempt to turn it over?

Was there water in the oil as well?"

"I have the motor on a stand f

"I have the motor on a stand for building and run in. As I said the engine was in pieces. I used an intake from a 318 Jet engine. The engine originally had a two pump system ( split system) and I changed to one pump raw water. I didn't turn it over after I realized I had a restriction ( water ) in the cylinders. Had water in the oil as well. Cylinders were flooded with water (a lot). I figure either wrong intake, wrong heads, or wrong head gaskets. Don"

"The wheels are turning in my

"The wheels are turning in my head as I try to figure out the problem. I am force feeding water into the system with a pressure hose, and I have the boat exhaust out and hooked up. I don't see how the water could have backed up into the engine because th exhaust ic lower but I'm looking for answers. Don"

"Odd.

With the possible exc

"Odd.

With the possible exception of some much later model years, any Chrysler small block heads and intakes will bolt up to any Chrysler small blocks (valve, chamber and runner sizes might not be correct....but the water passages will align).

If the problem is related to either of those components, it's more likely a crack or, as you've considered, a gasket issue.

Since it sounds as though you've done some re-plumbing, this is where I'd focus.

If the water in the cylinders is clear (i.e, not coming up from the crank case as milky oil), it's coming from up top. And if it's filling up quickly, in large volumes and accross all cylinders, it's more likely that it's coming in via the valves than from a head gasket leak. Start by checking the plumbing to the exhaust.

A cracked block could be a possiblity....but that typically fills the crankcase first."

"Los of clear water in cylinde

"Los of clear water in cylinders must be from exhaust. A cracked block would not flood clear, and not all eight. DON"

One of the exhaust manifolds i

One of the exhaust manifolds is most likely leaking internally. Since you are pressure feeding the system water goes into one cyl through open exh valve then out open intake valve and flooding engine.
check ther before you tear it apart.
Joe

"Pull both manifolds off, put

"Pull both manifolds off, put the bolts back in the heads (a few go into the water jacket), and start it up. If okay now, then the manifolds are leaking. It happens.

Jeff"

"Sure, but this is a test of w

"Sure, but this is a test of where the water is coming in from. It will make a racket without the manifolds, but if no water gets in the motor....

Jeff"

I went ahead and pulled the he

I went ahead and pulled the heads to clean out any water that would cause damage. I drained the oil and poured oil in the cylinders. I too have to think I have manifold issues. Hard to believe both sides are bad at once but it happens. Will check closely next week when I get back after it. I'll keep you posted on what I find. Thanks as always for the help. Such a valuable asset the site has become. Don

"I must admit it seems that I

"I must admit it seems that I am to blame. I did some reconfiguring of the exhaust risers during the overhaul and used the original gaskets. OOPS! found leaks on both sides today. Led to flooding the engine of coarse. Thanks again, Don"

"Oooh, you bad! Even with new

"Oooh, you bad! Even with new gaskets they can leak if the surfaces aren't perfectly clean, and the bolts properly tightened.

Jeff"

a suggestion... don't use

a suggestion... don't use water under pressure to test. The pressure of a garden hose can blow by even normal gaskets. Let the pump pull from a bucket being constantly filled by the hose....

My garden hose is dead even wi

My garden hose is dead even with what the pump will pull on 1 engine at low idle so watch out if u start revin it up might have to run a hose from the neighbors house for the other

Back