Logo

I think I just got "initiated"

bigtime_mcalpine

Regular Contributor
Pulled off the spring loaded pull cord assembly on my 74 johnson 4hp and had the spring fly all over the place leaving grease marks on my Christmas 2020 sweater that I was really growing quite fond of...any good instructions out there on how to put this devilry back together?

Ha! Sorry to laugh, but what took you so long to pop a recoil spring in your face? Hope the sweater isn't white. This is a task that is hard to describe, have you checked YouTube? Maybe there's something out there to help. These springs tend to bend and slip out of the "bowl", or housing. They can be carefully re-bent and installed with confidence. What damages them is too short of a starter cord, and/or....someone sitting farther away and pulling it out too far....perhaps in the case of a poor starting motor or someone not treating it like a little 4 horse. If the cord was worn out, then it should be a straightforward wind up job. A worn out cord should be replaced before the break happens. High performance recoil cords are available at chainsaw or most small engine shops. Some are slightly smaller diameter but extremely strong and durable.

Yes, it would take a lot of typing to explain a simple job here. It is simple enough if you know how. A couple of need-to-know items are don't forget the flat washer that goes inside, and the spring is wound in by blocking it up aginst the flywheel and rotating the flywheel. OR use the special rewinding tool which you probably don't have but will wish you did.

Back