Logo

I rebuilt my solex on aq 125a... now I cant

discobayken

Regular Contributor
Now I cant get it to idle.

Got a rebuild kit... but there were several gasket options.

there was a thick one for the intake manifold to carb and a thin one. I went with the thicker one.... should I try the other? does it matter?

also... what should the adjustment be on the needle valve on the lower starboard side of the carb? I tried almost closed and wide open and everwere inbetween. didnt seem to help.

I messed with the idle screw. didnt help. It seems fuel starved below about 2000 rps. when I back off the idle screw it slowly dies. then I have to give it lots of pumps of gas to get it to fire again.....

is there another adjustment I'm missing?

btw, it did idle fine before I took it off to rebuild....(but dint accelerate well) fyi, there lots of gunk in there....

Now, when I goose it... it seems to accelerate great (better than before)... just cant get that idle to work. Thsi is all dockside, not under load. cant get it to idle low enough to take her out.

any advice is appreciated.

Ken

J

Fantastic info! thank you!

question: I tried to unscrew the emulsification jet to take it out and clean it but it wouldnt come out... it would unscrew and turn... and turn... but never came out. I didnt want to force it out. I screwed it back in.... but it just kinda turned without ever really seating. any tips on that? Thanks!

If the emulsification jet unscrews all the way and doesn't pull out easily, it's gummed up. Pull it out to soak and clean it. Since that's gummed up, you'll need to either disassemble and soak the carb again or at least remove the main jet and blow the crap out through those passages with carb cleaner. But to be honest with you, it's really best to take it apart and clean it the right way. If you look, you'll see that the 4 tiny holes in the top of that emulsification jet are the 4 main spray nozzles and that is fed from the "t" below and that's fed from the main jet. If you've got varnish and crud above, you've got it down below as well.

The most likely cause of your high idle right now is a vacuum leak around the base of the carb. Spraying carb cleaner around the base to look for leaks is probably the place to start.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Thanks Joe.

I will take it apart again and give it another thorough cleaning. I was afraid to yank on the emulsification jet after I unscrewed it. I assume its ok to grab with with pliers and pull it out?

Last edited:
Another thing that helps too when cleaning the passage ports is to get you a bread twist tie and strip the paper off so you have the wire and poke it in there and spray your carb cleaner or break cleaner works good too, in there too. then carefully blow it out with some compressed air, that what we did with lawn mower carbs.

When removing the jets careful not to bend them out of shape when removing if i remember right there fairly soft but they should come out like joe said unless gunked up.

Update: I pulled it again... disassembled, blew it out. put it back. It does idle fine now... but... at low rpm it hesitates and runs a bit rough. high rpm, no problem. runs good. I sprayed carb cleaner on the gaskets. base is fine. it smoothes out when I spray the upper gasket at the top of the carb. obviously that gasket is leaking. I tried tightening it... but dont want to break a bolt/screw. I'd hate to have to buy a new rebuild kit just for the one gasket. do they sell just the one? I know the old shade tree trick of spraying the gasket adhesive sometimes works... but that seems pretty hokie. Should I try it? any suggestions? Thanks!

Whats your idle speed set at, these run 900rpm idle according to the book. Typically set at operating temp. The number of turns in the book is minumum to get it to stay running then its just finding a happy medium after that.

Try looking on ebay for the gaskets if u want to try a new one Solex 44 PAI-4 is the carb

Yes, its at about 900 rpm +/- . like I said, idles good, then hesitates at low rpms (1200-2000) then good above 2000 rpm. when I spray carb cleaner on the upper gasket... it runs good for about 5 min then rough again... must be a very small leak....

I'll look to see if I can find a gasket set. tempted to try to hokie route til then to see if it works.

Thanks for the help.

Ken

UPDATE: I found a sierra rebuild kit (18-7099) for only $17.49 delivered on amazon. I'll try it again. Third time is a charm, right?

Question: any assembly tips on how to make them not leak? This is getting frustrating. I did note that the old one I took off was a red colored rubberized gasket... and the new one is paper. Could that could be the problem. The one I just ordered looks like its another red rubberized gasket. Hopefully that will be the answer.

Back