Logo

I Need Help!

shane.peter37

I have a 1985 25HP Johnson tiller that I need to convert to remote start, and remote throttle and shifting. Finding the part numbers to do this is damn near impossible and I'm getting so frustrated. I have the conversion to remote steering already figured out, but I need to find the control box I need and the cables, parts, etc so I can handle everything from a console I'm building. A lot of people wonder why I'm doing it. I have had 15 back surgeries. This is the first boat I've owned and I bought it in January. When I took it out, the motor runs like a champ. However, I found that having to steer by tiller has my back on fire within 10 minutes. NO shop wants to help on any motor older than 2010. I'm a disabled vet on a fixed income, so I need to try and do this myself to keep the cost down. Any help in finding the parts and part numbers I need to do this would be hugely appreciated. Thank you.

Not sure where you are or your local market.------A donor motor for say $150 is the best approach.-----Buying parts and pieces gets expensive.----You can find the part numbers right here on this site.-----Near top of this page.------Engine diagrams-----And look for starter / parts / kits etc, etc.------Looking under accessories may also help.

Have any advice on how to find a donor motor? I'm also trying to figure out which model I should pull part numbers from. The motor I have is the basic J25RCOS. So I will need everything...the starter/solenoid bracket and of course starter and solenoid, the stater assembly, the gear cable brackets, throttle bracket, electric fly wheel, etc. Im not sure which model of that engine I would want to search for to be able to pull parts from.

Just an FYI, if you make the title of the post more relevant to your model/issue, you may get more replies, and make it easier for others searching the same info to find a solution. :)

Back