Logo

I need help...I don't have a "Mercotronic" or "Stevens" tester.....

Retired OG

Contributing Member
If I did have one, or could find one, I wouldn't be posting this question....it beats the hell out of me why the written instructions for the 70's motors rely on particular "models" of "testers" when it comes to troubleshooting electrical ignition problems in these early motors.....I looked "on line" for these "testers" about a year ago.....I couldn't find them.....:mad: And regardless of how much I searched, I still came up with nothing......

What I have currently is a 1975 Evinrude #70573E.....it will occasionally start, but then will die after about a minute....how do I test the Stator, etc, with modern electrical test equipment???

Amperage is current not voltage, Electromotive Force is voltage the push behind the current, IxR=V, R being resistance or OHMS

Thanks for all the replies....I went to the CDI website and downloaded their troubleshooting guide...I'll repost when I can pinpoint the issue. Thanks....

OK....thanks to ya'lls help and CDI download of the electrical troubleshooting guide, I found out the rectifier was bad....a couple coils were questionable too....thanks to the priority shipping this site has, I already have the parts installed and fired the engine just now....:cool:....I think this motor ind is gonna work out nice....smooth & fires at the bump of the ignition....

Funny thing though....when I first tried the ignition switch this morning, it wouldn't turn the starter....I took the starter apart and it was a mess....cleaned it up a little and now it's working...a new starter is now on the priority list.

Back