Logo

I have new suzuki 90 outboard won’t crank over and trim tilt intermittent

SeaDog75

I have a brand new suzuki 90 outboard when I put key in, it does the long beep beeps then when I start it, I hear click at motor (celenoid is working?)and I hear fuel pump purr, but won’t power up. Trim tilt is intermittent as well. The motor works, but doesn’t go up/dwn, just runs. I have tried two brand, new batteries, as well as checked the voltage at the solenoid I have cleaned all the contacts for the wiring, harness and electrical, I checked the fuses and relays. I would think if it was a relay, it wouldn’t click, but anyhow, I have troubleshot it for Hours. I even put new ends on the ground cable of the battery. When I cut off the old ones the inside looked really good. Like I said, it’s all brand new it’s only been ran twice for a total of three or four hours in the harbor. I have asked several mechanics who have come and looked at it and can’t figure it out either. Does anybody have any ideas? Thank you so much!

Brand new engine, your dealer should cover this under warranty. The above link covers some of your issues.

Thanks. I’ve noticed the check engine light flashing 4-2 code. I know it’s a CKP code, but most say it’s actually the NSS. Going to check the NSS which I believe is near trim tilt. Maybe something caused both of them to get loose?

Thank you William! Is the sensor something I can test or clean? I’m very much a novice at this, as you can tell. My husband recently passed away and he was a captain and mechanic- I didn’t really need to do much with him around 😢. I really appreciate your help in guidance. I’m very frustrated because this is a brand new engine that has maybe four hours most on it and when I called a certified mechanic to work on it, they say it’s a six month wait. I really need to get this boat running so I can use it for my husband’s memorial.
When I turn on the motor, I take the key and turn it and it does the long beep that it supposed to and then when I start it, it just makes the loud click of the solenoid I think, and then nothing. I can hear the fuel pump do its thing though. Also, the trim tilt is not working it’s not going up or down but I can hear the motor running. I’ve tried it both on the engine and the binnacle controller and can’t get it to work. The dashboard is showing 4–2 code. The CKP switch looks like it’s operating perfectly. I can see when I go to put it in forward and reverse that it’s doing what it supposed to do. I don’t know what else to try. I have a brand new battery new ends on the ground cable, I have cleaned all the contacts on the motor with contact cleaner. I checked all the fuses I checked the relay the voltage was all good and I just can’t figure out the problem. Thank you for any help. If anyone knows anybody in Newport Beach California understand these engines I would be so grateful for any help. Thank you!

Keep in mind that this is from a 2009. Check all connections especially the one at the ECM, a brand new engine shouldn’t have a CKP sensor issue possibly a connection isn’t in tight, by checking I mean pull them apart and reinsert them fully.
I too am learning so I may not be all that helpful. On the link above re the white wire ask on that forum. There are members that have forgotten more than I’ll ever know about Suzuki engines.

IMG_5801.jpeg
IMG_5802.jpeg
IMG_5803.jpeg
IMG_5804.jpeg

You are so sweet, thank you SO MUCH for all your help!! I fixed it! I kept thinking it was the voltage because two systems weren’t working. But everybody kept saying no. It’s the crankshaft sensor. I learned that that code goes off any time. It just won’t crank. The reason it’s not cranking is a different story. In my case it was the red battery cable had become corroded and broke off of the power cable underneath the helm. Somewhere between the helm and the motor. So I replaced all the cables and it fired right up. I was so relieved! I really really appreciate all your help though. It means a lot to me.

Glad your up and running. As time permits I would suggest you check the rest of the wiring, chances are you may have other electrical issues that haven’t showed up yet paying particular attention to the white wire. I should have asked if the rigging was new, I wrongly assumed whoever installed a brand new engine would have run brand new wires also.

Everything is brand new, except for the battery cables. I’m not sure why he use the old ones because they were from 1980. But we did go through everything and check all the connections and cleaned connections and made sure everything was tiptop now. Thank you again!

Back