Logo

I found a loose black yellow stripe wire on the motor which I believe is the kill/ground wire.

Steven_flats90

I have a 40hp 2 stroke Johnson outboard motor on a 14ft skiff. A couple of days ago I took my boat out everything was fine. When I turned the key to off it wouldn't shut off. I had to unplug the fuel line for it to run out of gas, eventually shutting it off. I have replaced the kill switch, ignition switch, and the solenoid starter. It still won't shut off when I turn the key to off. Well I found this black with yellow stripe wire hanging not connected by the power pack. I'm thinking this is my reason for not shutting off. My problem is I don't know where it would go to?

First off check that there is not any voltage to the wire with the ignition switch at all positions. Even a small amount of voltage will cook the powerpack. If it is good then just connect it to the powerpack black/yel wire and then test the engine shuts off? You can just choke it to kill it also but makes restarts more difficult.

imagepng

Ok I will try that after work tomorrow thank you very much. I didn't want to have to take it to the mechanic if it's a simple fix. I was trying to get pics to load on here but it doesn't seem to work for me. How exactly would I check the voltage with the meter exactly? I've never really messed with electricity much.

I checked that wire and it had zero voltage. There is a black wire connected to one of the post on the power pack, is that where I would connect the loose black/yellow wire from the ignition to? There is a rectifier regulator above the power pack with 2 post with one black/yellow wire going to both post would that be a better connect for my loose ground wire? I couldn't find the model number anywhere, all I found was this: G3839958

That looks like a serial number except it has too many digits 3839958 puts it as a 1973 i dont believe they had the cd ignition yet. The G before the number does not pull up i can find.

I checked that wire and it had zero voltage. There is a black wire connected to one of the post on the power pack, is that where I would connect the loose black/yellow wire from the ignition to? There is a rectifier regulator above the power pack with 2 post with one black/yellow wire going to both post would that be a better connect for my loose ground wire? I couldn't find the model number anywhere, all I found was this: G3839958

A cheap OEM service manual off ebay will have the wiring schematics and will give you step by step guidance in performing every maint/repair task....If I'm not mistaken, that black/yellow wire should connect to the #5 terminal (top right) post on the power pack....from there, it goes to your ignition switch.

So a OEM manual off eBay will work with any year? I don't know the year of the motor. Okay that deffently helps! Wasn't sure if it mattered what ground post i put it on. I needed to make sure before screwing anything up lol. My power pack is layed horizontal with the post. I wish I could get pictures to upload on here. Thank you

Okay a quick update. I hooked the black/yellow wire to the power pack post and it didn't shut the motor off. So now I'm in a stump, I'm not sure what's going. I'm thinking maybe the whole wire needs to be replaced, or maybe the wires that connect to the ignition key switch.

I also forgot to mention when I disconnect the battery cables the motor still stays on I don't know if that matters. I read some forums where people disconnected the battery cables to shut the motor off.

Back