Logo

Hydrolock damage

vernon69

Hi all, on my last outing, the engine dieseled on shutdown and sucked in water. I had just changed the battery and mistook not turning over to be associated with something electrical. After fiddling around with the battery connections and trying to start it several times, it finally coughed a bit and then started up and ran well enough to get us back to shore. This was probably about 10 miles as we were on a big lake with no other boat traffic. After googling it, I am fairly certain that we had inhaled water into a cylinder. Since then I drained the oil which had a little water in it, put in new oil and ran it on the hose for a while until it was up to temp. I just performed a compression test and found that all cylinders but one were at 170 with the front left at 140. From what I have been reading, this is an indication of a bent rod.

Can I replace just 1 rod, or can we continue to use the boat as is? The loss in power was not noticeable. The engine is all original and is 21 years old but has not been used much over the years.

Unfortunately the only way to be certain is to get the engine out, pull the head and oil pan and get that rod/piston out to be checked.

I'd think you could pull a couple spark plugs and use a borescope to see it the rod is bent.

If the rod is bent, you could keep using the engine but run the risk of the rod separating which would likely induce some damage if it separates while running.

As Mark says, run it till it don't. Keep changing the oil. Sooner or later you'll need to call the tow boat but who knows? There is a chance you'll get another 21 years out of it.

Back