Logo

Hydraulic trim -- rebuild vs. new

amSteve

I have a Merc 60 EFI CT that fails to hold a trimmed position while under power. (any forward thrust at greater than, say, 25% throttle will cause the hydraulic cylinder to collapse).

Merc mothership advises a rebuild. My local authorized dealer is unable to get me in until mid June so I have to go in search of an alternative and need some help weighing my options.

The engine is one of a pair being used on a houseboat -- currently it is unmounted and sits on a stand in my garage. I can bring engine to any valid service site within, say, 4 hours drive.

The question is what/who is 'valid service'? I'm hoping for guidance on how much I should expect the replace vs. rebuild option to be. The stakes are high because once the boat's in the water it's almost a $1000 to take back out if a rebuild wasn't done correctly. But if replacing is thousands more than rebuilding...

So:

1. Or is it feasible to remove the hydraulic unit myself ( or perhaps a non-authorized Merc shop but known competent service tech) and bring or ship just the unit for either service or full replacement?
  2. If I were to just be calling authorized Merc dealers in my general geographic area and find one that says they can perform a rebuild over the next, say 6 weeks, do I just trust that 'authorized Merc dealer' is good enough or how do I make that judgment?
  3. Is it possible to ask what the difference between rebuilding vs. replacing with new is going to cost me? (not looking for 'how much will this cost -- just a range of 'replace' vs. 'rebuild').

Back