Logo

How to tell if cutlass bearing needs replacement

rmm

Regular Contributor
Did a search but didnt find to

Did a search but didnt find too much. What's the right way to determine if cutlass bearing needs to be replaced? I see a few small "dry rot" looking cracks around top outer edges but the shafts seem tight. Do not knwo the age of them.

Thanks

Capt. Ryan - 1988 Tiara 31'

"If the shaft is tight in the

"If the shaft is tight in the radial plane and it has no deformation, it is probably servicable. I don't know what the 'general rule' is but I've found 10 years is a good service life for mine.

If you don't know how old they are and she's blocked up, you may want to swap them now. You can shop around and probably get the bearings for less than the cost of the short haul to change them during the season.

Most good yards/travel lift operators have the hydraulic tool - makes the job trivial, timewise."

"Mine are fine at 13 years. B

"Mine are fine at 13 years. But, I had to replace one that had the rubber insert totally give way from the bushing in just 4 years. A 3 - 5 mm in radial play is a good target. But, don't count compression of the rubber itself. Reportedly, larger shafts are allowed 0.1 " of play."

Back