Logo

How to reseal Outboard mounting bolts?

flyingg103

I want to reseal the bolts attaching the outboard to the transom. I have removed the bottom bolts for inspection and all looks good. I will do the top bolts as well but need to know what is the preferred method.

Do i need to remove the outboard completely or can i replace the bolts with Life Caulk and move on, one at a time? I do not have an engine hoist at my disposal but want to be sure this is done correctly.

You can do them one at a time as long as they aren't binding too much. If they want to bind then shore up the motor as best you can to take off weight, then loosen them all up enough that the motor can move a little bit. Leave one top bolt completely in place and barely snug. Make sure all are stainless steel with stainless flat washers and stainless nylock nuts. Seal opening through transom with good quality silicone.

You can do them one at a time as long as they aren't binding too much. If they want to bind then shore up the motor as best you can to take off weight, then loosen them all up enough that the motor can move a little bit. Leave one top bolt completely in place and barely snug. Make sure all are stainless steel with stainless flat washers and stainless nylock nuts. Seal opening through transom with good quality silicone.

Ok sounds good, I have been using life caulk in the past which is a polysulfide which is what i think you are referring to with silicone. I guess more is better in this case so cover the bolts and hole with life caulk slowly slide it through and tighten the nuts only. something like 30-40 pounds torque?

Back