Logo

How to remove shift rod bushing on a 1973 9.5 HP

saltydog3

I have the lower unit disassembled. The O ring at the top of the shift rod needs to be replaced. To do this I need to remove the shift rod bushing that sits above the o ring. I can't get at the bushing with a drift from the bottom, it looks like the o ring sits in a cavity and must go in or out from the top, after removing the bushing.

I observe the bushing is peened into the aluminum housing. I have already done some damage to the aluminum trying to get it loose.

Any one done this removal before and care to advise?

I don't want to do any more damage. I am thinking about applying a little heat.

Well there is a special tool to remove tit ---" stepped punch ' for lack of a better word,-----------------Then you can run a 5/16 NC tap in there to get 3 threads engagement and pull it out with threaded rod.----------------OR YOU CAN REPLACE IT WITHOUT PULLING THE BUSHING.----Many have said it can not be done , but i do it when I can't find the special tool on my bench.----------------Push the old o-ring out and insert a new one. Some dexterity and patience is required but , trust me it can be done.

A "dent puller" works great too with an appropriate screw at the end. You can buy an inexpensive one or rent one......maybe you know someone with one. It shouldn't be peened as they are simply a machined fit. Before you push in the new bushing it can help to put it in the deep freezer for awhile to shrink it. Make sure the shift rod is nice and smooth with no burrs before you install it. Lube as needed too. Good luck..... your not the first to have trouble with this seal/bushing.

As several folks have suggest - I plan to tap about three threads into the bushing and pull it out with a bridge and long bolt/nut screwed into it. No doubt that will get it out. Should I order a new bushing or can I reuse the threaded one (saving the rework next time I get into this thing) ? This is the second time the shift shaft locked up on me. It seems to get hard to shift when the motor not used for awhile. Trying to shift with the binding shaft ends up bending it until it locks up solid. Last time I straightened and cleaned up the shaft without replacing the seal -- this time pulled the seal through the hole as it seemed to be the sticking point. I ordered a new O ring and it is larger than the old one which is badly damaged now.

A comment on replacing the o ring without removing the bushing? I tried it using the old o ring and failed. I squeezed it in the hole by compressing it longways - but I couldn't get it positioned correctly once it was in there. I am back to getting the bushing out.

Sorry, but I have done this successfully !!--------------The bushing does not NEED to come out.-------------I have used all three methods for this job , no problems.

I made a step punch from a old phillips screwdriver using a file in about five minutes. Works like a champ! 2-3 wacks and out comes the bushing. I just searched through my phillips screwdrivers until I found one that wouldn't quite fit through the shift bushing. Then I filed into the 4 blades to fit into the shift shaft hole. Bingo.......a step punch was born!!!

Use a concrete nail. Insert the head of the nail through the back of the bushing. Slide the nail head into the slot where the o'ring sits. Sit the bushing side inside a deep well socket on the ground are mount the cover in a vice. Tap on the point of the nail with a hammer. Move the nail head around to evenly tap the bushing out. Works like a charm.

I just use a long bolt that barely fits in the hole in the housing and tap the bushing out it will bugger up the hole on the bushing a little and with a small round file I dress up the bushing so the shaft slides through it smooth. I then tap the bushing back in with a small socket on a long extension until it bottoms out.
Reduce, Re-use, Recycle. Great idea!

Back