Logo

How to remove remote oil filter hose

Kilo7Mike

I have a Bravo 7.4l engine with a remote oil filter. I've been chasing a fairly substantial oil leak and I believe I found the culprit: The hose going from the engine block up to the oil filter. I'd like to unscrew the hose from the fitting that goes into the block to see if there is an o-ring to replace or if some new thread sealant will do the trick. So, how do I get this sucker off? Other than it being hard to get to, I'm unsure where to put my wrench! There are two places that will take a 7/8" wrench but I'm not sure what I'm looking at (see attached picture). It looks to me like the top will unscrew the hose from some kind of adapter that goes into the right-angle fitting that goes into the block? But, searching the internet, I see pictures of these hoses that look like they were unscrewed via the bottom point. Anyone know? Thank you much!

IMG_8766.jpg

Thank you! So what is the function of the top "nut" part? It sure looks like the oil leak is coming from between the top and the bottom and not from where the hose attaches to the 90 degree adapter. Seems like that might be a sign that I need a new hose?

Thanks.

It is a "flexable" joint.
The hose can rotate if need be.
All four connections may be the same.

The one I made for my engine, all four are flexable

Alright - I got it off! Looks like the end that connects to the adapter that goes into the block is flared. So... no thread sealant there since the flare is supposed to do the sealing, right? Should I be looking at replacing the hose? The only part that I've found that seems close is 32-9235761 which is a 36" hose (mine is more like 27").

Last edited:
Where exactly is the leak?

And no, you should add teflon tape or paste sealant to the threads.

Where exactly is the leak?

And no, you should add teflon tape or paste sealant to the threads.

It is leaking at the point of the arrow in the picture below. There wasn't any thread sealant on this end, but I thought with a flare fitting you didn't put any on?

IMG_8766_leak (1).jpg

Back