Logo

How to pick the right winch for the boat ...

1stboat

Regular Contributor
The latch that holds the winch tight when the boat is winched on my trailer broke. Now the winch just free spins. I can use the winch to get the boat on the trailer, but have to use the safety chain along with the straps on the back to keep the boat on the trailer when on the road.

I've been looking at winches and they're rated for a certain amount of pounds. I have a 24 foot boat that weighs about 4500 pounds (with fuel). None of the winches go up to that amount. Is there a percentage of the total weight that I should look for when buying the winch?

I trailer my 28 foot SDN F/B boat. I can tell you for certain that these winches DO go up to the size that you need. Keep looking!

BTW, I see that you did a signature and put AQ (X).
Your AQ series drive will be a DP C or DP C1, or in that range.
The info for the 5.7L GI PMDA is rather vague on which drive is used.

Last edited:
I can tell you for certain that these winches DO go up to the size that you need. Keep looking!

Your AQ series drive will be a DP C or DP C1, or in that range.
The info for the 5.7L GI PMDA is rather vague on which drive is used.

... So, look for a winch that is rated for the weight of my whole boat? The winch doesn't actully winch the whole boat's weight because it's floating when its wenched on the trailer. Or does it?

As for the drive, I'll make the adjustment. Thanks. I actually emailed wellcraft my drives serial number and their response was that is was a 280 or 290 (which is why I originally posted that it was one of those).

I found a repair kit for the winch I have (Fulton 2605B). Best part is, it costs less than 10 dollars!

For those of you with a similar issue, google "ratchet repair kits" and hopefully you won't have to buy an entire new winch.

Ed, you've just returned help to me! I need one also. :)

Can you post the entire link for us?
I'd like to order the one that I need.

Back