Logo

How to install a tachometer on a 35 hp Mercury

steve

Contributing Member
Does anyone know how to insta

Does anyone know how to install a tach on a 35 hp motor as for as where to connect the wires on the motor? Can one be istalled on a motor that small? Will a tach for an auto work and can it be wired in?

Thanks.

What model 35hp do you have?

What model 35hp do you have?
If it is electric start with a charging circut then you can fit a tacho. An auto tach wont work.

" Tonyaus, It is serial # A153

" Tonyaus, It is serial # A153426, year 1985. I don't know the model. It is electric start. Do you know where to connect the wires? I guess if I purchase one, there will be a diagram with it on connecting. "

Steve....that motor is factor

Steve....that motor is factory fitted with a charging circut so to fit a tacho wont be a problem. On your control box there will be a plug which can have between 3 and 5 pins on it depending on the control box that you have. That plug will have 12V+(on ignition) -ve and a tach signal wire. These are what is required to run a tacho. An auto tacho wont work because auto tachos run on a signal from the ignition coil and marine tachos run on a pulse from your charging circuit. The nature of an outboards CDI ignition system wont drive an auto tacho.

" Get a Teleflex tach.........

" Get a Teleflex tach...............easy install, instructions included. It will work with your outboard. "

Back