Logo

How to gain access to a Force 5 HP flame arrestor?

DreamBoater

Greetings: I have just acquired a Force 5 HP outboard motor which does not start. It has not been used for 2 yrs. No info came with it; so I don't know what model yr it is. I am mechanically inclined, with tools. Marine motors & terminology are new to me. I have ordered a service manual for the motor. I have been learning motor terms & technology by reading posts in this forum. 1 of the suggestions is to check the flame arrestor. I wonder if someone would be kind enough to outline in detail how to gain access to the flame arrestor & subsequently to remove it. I was able to remove the motor cover, but the spring-loaded rope keeps pulling the cover back to the motor housing. How should the rope be separated from the T-handle or from the motor cover? Thanks in advance.

No flame arrestor on outboards.Some carbs have a cover,that might be considered a flame arrestor.
(t handle will come apart)The pull cord can be pulled and the cover removed and place a pair of visegrips on the rope.Then undo the handle and remove the cover to work on it.Male sure you tie a knot in it so it won't recoil into the housing.
If it won't start:do a compression/spark test(use a good tester).Drop the float bowl and see how much gunk is in there.Then clean as needed.The main jet also has the low speed jet in it(most models). Post your results.J

Back