Logo

How to fix a broken kill switch on 1990 Johnson Seahorse

SandraC

Hi all, I am brand new to this site, so hope I am posting in the right spot. I have a 1990 Johnson Seahorse Sail Master 9.9 outboard engine with a kill switch installed on the end of the handle/throttle. I just discovered that the knob of the switch has been knocked off so I need to replace the switch. I am HOPING this will not be a complicated job, but am looking for hints/suggestions. Can I just use a universal switch, etc.? Thank you!

As you’ve discovered that switch is very expensive, I’d look for a used on on eBay. I had the exact same issue, on a 1991 Johnson, 8hp. the 8hp setup looks simpler to access the switch than yours. If it’s being used in a sailboat, & you don’t require the man-overboard lanyard, a generic switch should be fairly easy to rig up. That little C clip (part #16), simply keeps the spring loaded end from closing, which grounds out the ignition.
I got a used switch from a member here, then disassembled the switch, & simply replaced the little red end. That might work for you. The end of this thread shows how it was done.

Had a 1992 15 HP Evinrude here.----No spark when kill switch was in the circuit.-----All the pieces of the switch looked OK.-----After much investigating , head scratching I added a washer / spacer cut from a margarine tub.----Works as designed again.------

As you’ve discovered that switch is very expensive, I’d look for a used on on eBay. I had the exact same issue, on a 1991 Johnson, 8hp. the 8hp setup looks simpler to access the switch than yours. If it’s being used in a sailboat, & you don’t require the man-overboard lanyard, a generic switch should be fairly easy to rig up. That little C clip (part #16), simply keeps the spring loaded end from closing, which grounds out the ignition.
I got a used switch from a member here, then disassembled the switch, & simply replaced the little red end. That might work for you. The end of this thread shows how it was done.
Thanks so much for taking the time to my post. I have indeed discovered that the part is expensive. Such a small thing can cause such a big expense! I have decided to take my engine to a professional as it is well beyond my expertise and I need to have a reliable engine. As someone pointed out, the kill switch the the end of my handle is constantly exposed to the sun, which deteriorates the plastic. (only part of the problem, I am sure) Going forward, I will be covering the kill switch and will wrap it in bubble wrap etc. when transporting the engine. Thanks again.

Had a 1992 15 HP Evinrude here.----No spark when kill switch was in the circuit.-----All the pieces of the switch looked OK.-----After much investigating , head scratching I added a washer / spacer cut from a margarine tub.----Works as designed again.------
You are very fortunate! All the pieces in my switch were not ok :(

Back