Logo

How to diagnose no start condition on 5 HP Force motor?

DreamBoater

Thanks J, for the guidance:

I have begun a new thread as the question has changed...

I was not pulling the rope fast enough to generate a spark. When I pulled the rope swiftly, I saw several blue sparks. However they shall not jump 7/16"; only 1/8".

Unfortunately, the motor did not start. I removed the spark plug & inspected it & found the electrodes to be wet, leading me to believe that fuel is reaching the plug. I do not know what to set the spark plug gap to.

I wonder if it is bad spark timing, but I don't know how, because the key is positioned in the crank shaft & the flywheel can only fit on the crank shaft over the key, which is how & where I tightened the flywheel down.

You have suggested that I clean out the fuel bowl. How do I access the fuel bowl? Do I need to remove the carburetor from the motor to do so?

Any other suggestions to diagnose the no-start condition? The motor looks like it has had little use. It is clean & painted with no appearance of it having been worked on in the past. I doubt that it is lacking compression; however, if you think I should check compression, I have no objection to doing so. Thanks in advance.

Pour a little gas into the front of the carb and try to start it. If it tries to go than the carb is the culprit. (Could also be flooding)

The spark does not normally jump 7/16" on these motors. The magneto is not that strong.

And yes, you should always check the compression on a Force before doing to much else to it.

Back