Logo

How to check a dual coil.

redfishtony

I have a 2002 Mercury 60hp 4stroke. It appears the coil pack for cylinders 2 and 3 has gone bad. Number 3 seems to be firing intermittent but nothing on number 2. How can I test the coil. I have a multimeter. Thanks for any help. TW

Check the spark plug wires as these are bad about burning up inside of plug boot. If boots ok swap coil positions and see if problem follows....

Swapped the coils and still no fire in 2 and 3. Bought a can of seafoam and after 25\30 minutes of soaking I couldn't believe both carbs were clogged. After removing the bowl drains and cleaning them the thing started running like new. All four firing and all carbs working correctly. I would have never guessed it was the carbs. Guess I got some dirty gas somewhere. Could them have been caused by ethanol?

I also noticed on the side of each carb there is a plunger or pin that goes up and down. They have a rubber expansion boot on them. I noticed three of mine are cracked. Could this be a problem?

Use fresh fuel whenever possible along w/Seafoam and the carbs won't get gummed up w/fuel varnish. As kimcrwbr1 said...run the fuel out of the carbs after each use.

Back