Logo

How to change reed valves

Bill K

Contributing Member
My manual does not mention anything about the reed valves. I am just wondering where the heck they are and how hard they are to change on a 1997 merc 40 4 cylinder.

They are located behind the carbs in the intake manifold. They cost allot for what they are and unless you have a broken reed I would leave them alone...you will not see any real significant gains from new reeds on a 40hp

Good info, I was curious as well.

Thru my involvement with 2 stroke dirtbikes, they could actually make a difference in performance, especially if the old ones are bad.

Are these fiber reeds or metal reeds in these motors? On my dirtbikes you could actually buy 2 stage reeds thal allowed a better performance gain at low RPM. When the reeds went bad on the bikes, they no longer sat flat on the reed cage.

I had both of my carbs off, but on my '77 Thunderbolt 500, they kind of fasten right to the block, I didn't see any reeds in there.

There is an out fit in Key Largo called www.chriscarsonmarine.com that makes reed valves, you might check the site out, they have some cool stuff, sport reeds, racing reeds, drag reeds etc they claim their reeds give better idle and better fuel consumption

Back