Logo

How on earth?

Chris Rohde

Regular Contributor
I don't visit the site much in the winter, so been gone a while.

But how/why in the heck is Rick "RicardoMarine" showing up as "Banned"? I can't image a more helpful/knowledgeable human being. The value he has brought to this forum over the years is immeasurable. For a guy like me who his insight has helped tremendously, I just can't fathom why that would happen. That's a huge loss if this is indeed the case.

Chris

I don't visit the site much in the winter, so been gone a while.

But how/why in the heck is Rick "RicardoMarine" showing up as "Banned"? I can't image a more helpful/knowledgeable human being. The value he has brought to this forum over the years is immeasurable. For a guy like me who his insight has helped tremendously, I just can't fathom why that would happen. That's a huge loss if this is indeed the case.

Chris

My question as well!

There was plenty of purse swinging in the Mercruiser forum between him and other very knowledgeable people. Regardless of all of that, I hope he gets back here for the Volvo people, at least.

My question as well!

There was plenty of purse swinging in the Mercruiser forum between him and other very knowledgeable people. Regardless of all of that, I hope he gets back here for the Volvo people, at least.

Agreed! The amount of help he has given over the years has to far outweigh a couple of testy exchanges. I didn't see any cursing or name calling or anything overly derogatory in that thread over on the Merc forum.

Last edited:
Hi Guys.

I know Ricardo has been very helpful to a lot of people. That's the main reason why I didn't ban him years ago. It's been an ongoing job to weigh the benefits versus the drawbacks. I won't go into specifics but I will say that banning Rick was not done lightly, it was a necessity unfortunately. To give you some perspective, I think we've only banned maybe 4 or 5 regular users in 15 years.

Thank you for the insight James. Definitely an unfortunate situation, but clearly more going on than I was aware of. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I would commend James Cole for the way he handled this. I saw James give Rick multiple warnings over several years when he got into it with multiple people. I thought he genuinely liked to argue, i just don't think that attitude works on what is supposed to be technical knowledge sharing group.

i know i wont miss having my posts quoted and argued about line by line...

Believe me, I didn't start the post to armchair QB James' decision. As someone who considers themselves by post count a "casual" member, I was just at a loss as to why or how. When I found out, and was directed to it, I read the thread on the Merc page and it certainly wasn't pleasant. I didn't see where Rick was an instigator or even the loudest voice in terms of name calling, etc. BUT. Big BUT...I didn't know there was was a long history being built upon there, and plenty of prior warnings. At the end of the day, we're lucky to have forums such as these. They are time consuming for the ops, and typically don't generate tons of revenue. More of a labor of love for the owner. Our behavior on THEIR forums must be adhered to. I get it. We've all seen forums where stuff goes largely unchecked, and the culture on some of those boards can be brutal.

I still appreciate Rick's past help and knowledge, and hope to be able to keep in some form of contact with him in the future, although the privilege would be all mine as I don't have much to offer in return other than my graciousness.

Thanks for understanding. - Chris

.... and yet, the person I consider the prime instigator in the "Ricardo issues" is still on the forum and as of the other day still making disrespectful remarks about Rick.... totally without any "input" from Ricardo.. but hey.... it's your forum.

Hope this can be resolved. I didn't post much here but reading and searching all ricardos posts significantly helped me put together my older Volvo powered boat. Knowledge is power and ricardo very much helped me have a good day out on the Puget Sound with my 230 Volvo powered craft.
THANK YOU RICARDO!

In a nut shell.... You are responsible for the advice you give.... If you advise a user to make a repair against oem procedure... You have now become the manufacture and responsible for the damage or harm you cause.

Bob, Just because a trained professional pointed out the dangers and called Rick out on every post he should not comment on does not make him wrong.

Yes, the Volvo knowledge Rick offered will obviously be missed. That is unfortunate.

There are strong reasons why he had to be banned, many of which are not evident in his posts. I'll have to ask you all to take my word for it. I'm not going to air the dirty laundry, so to speak. -James

Back