Logo

How much battery does a Yamaha 150 need?

Nucad

Regular Contributor
My waterski boat has two very large deepcycle batteries at the back. This is lot's of uneeded weight that does not do the wake any favours. I am told these deep cycle batteries are very hard on the charging system. Trying to lighten the boat and redistribute the weight.Was thinking of maybe going with an expensive Lithium battery and moving it to the front. How many amp hours give you a good margin on a 1992 Yamaha Pro V two stroke? Any suggestions for lighter weight batteries?

Tia.

First off your correct about deep cycle they are slower to charge just by design. the recommendation is a battery with between 1000 and 1050 MCA. 1000 is available in frame 24 and will be the lightest you can use a pair but make sure you use an isolator and try to run one as your full time starting battery and the other as the house battery. start your boat and make your runs use your electronics as you like when getting ready to return to port start the engine then switch it to battery two to charge on the way in. This will balance the battery use and reduce the strain on the charging system. Never Lithium in a boat they are not designed for that kind of use and the charging system may not be able to handle it.

Ok thanks. What do you think of the Oddessey line of batteries? They have some that might fit under the passenger seat.

Ok thanks. What do you think of the Oddessey line of batteries? They have some that might fit under the passenger seat.

Never used one. However, the technology to produce a marine battery isn't a closely guarded secret. I recon any of the major brands is a safe bet, plus it comes with a warranty just in case.

Any Battery rated for marine use and with sufficient MCA is fine, very little difference in the way they are assembled. Warranty may be the only difference today.

Do you have a volt meter on the dash? The issue with maintenance free batteries is they store energy more effeciently and can/will create over charging issues. Keep a close eye on battery voltage anything over 15 volts and stuff starts getting hot under the flywheel. It can snowball into the ignition and get real expensive real fast. Due to the high rpm our outboards run a standard marine grade lead acid battery is recommended the weight is not an issue IMO do you want to risk expensive engine repairs? your engine calls for 380cca 70AH 124 minutes reserve

Last edited:
I plan on getting a Voltage gauge. Does the Yamaha 150 generate enough amps to power any accessories, like a radio and GPS and still keep the battery charged up?

Thanks.

Like was said run accys on the other battery you can get a automatic isolator that once the engine battery is fully charget it will automatically switch to the house circuit. Do you have a separate house circuit going to a fuse block? There are lots of upgrades you can do yes the charging system. Your engine puts out between 25-45 amps per hour depending on engine RPM and can easily handle multiple appliances.

I'd much prefer to run the whole thing on one battery. I have about 100 pounds of batteries on an 1800 pound ski boat. 65 Pounds less would be good. Every bit should improve the wake. I'd like to keep the Lorrance GPS and . The boat has a sound system, but not sure I will use it.

The issue is the engine will be putting out the power whether you use it or not. Install a volt meter so you can monitor it real time. The standard lead acid battery will not overcharge same as a sealed maintenace free battery. Battery maintenance or failure counts for 50% of all engine failures. You can just use one battery the volt meter will tell you if there are any issues you need to address. A standard marine grade battery should serve you just fine.The 20lbs difference will not make any difference in the wake.

Back