Logo

How long for pee hole to eject water

fphowell

I have a mercury 2006 115 hp outboard and just changed out impeller and gaskets.
I put on water muffler and turned on hose and started engine and after a few minutes looked
for water from pee hole. No water. If I remember there is a thermostat that needs to open for water
to circulate. How long approximately?

Water should be visible within seconds. Not all outboards like muffs. Try a barrel with water getting the water 3-4” ABOVE the top of the water pump. Thermostat and telltale are not “connected”.

If you follow the hose it goes to the exhaust water jacket cover on the left side of the block. The exhaust is a separate circuit that isn't controlled.....reason is if the engine is running, it's producing combustion heat which has to be dissipated.

As stated by William, a few seconds to become visible. Did it work prior to your repair? If water is coming out of the end of the prop tube while running, your impeller is pumping water. Another clue is with the muffs completely covering all the water pickup holes in the lower unit, and the engine off, take note of the amount of water escaping between the rubber of the hose adapter and the lower unit casting. Start the engine and check it again......should be significantly less squirting out. I never had a problem with muffs if the water is turned on to a good flow and the rubber boots completely cover all the pickup holes.

Back