Logo

How good are the Seloc repair manuals

grimesinma

I have a 1969 Johnson 4 hp out

I have a 1969 Johnson 4 hp outboard. The Seloc maual covers Johnson/Evinrude 1.5-40 hp 1 and 2 cylinder 2 stroke 1956-1970 models. I was afraid that too many models are covered and therefore not specific enough for my model.

I myself find that the seloc m

I myself find that the seloc manuals do a good job explaining the basic repairs of the engines covered in the manual.
The Seloc and Clymer manuals will both give enough information to get the job done.

For rewinds you will not find that the manuals have all rewinds by the model they fit but just have the type of rewind used.
Like a 40hp will have the same type of rewind as a 3.5hp in some cases but the 40 is bigger of course. But the way it works and is serviced is the same as long as it is the same design / type of rewind. These manuals show how to repair several types of rewinds in general.
If you feel you need a manual that has everything for your model then you need the factory service manual for that model.

Some people like one manual more than the other(Ford vs Chevy thing).
There are times that one manual may have more information on a subject than the other. It goes both ways.
I don't see how you can go wrong with either brand of manual for that motor.
The motor is very basic.
Even if you were to buy both the Solec and the Clymer manuals you would be ahead if you saved just one trip to the repair shop for a minor repair.

If you were getting into higher tech motors then I would have a different opinion as to what manual I'd prefer but for what you are looking for either manual will do.

What about these Manuals (

What about these Manuals (I have both) for my 1993 Evinrude 60* 175hp V6. I am an aircraft mechanic with 32 years turning wrenches so I'm not afraid to get dirty. Just need good solid technical data.

Look up kencook.com these are

Look up kencook.com these are original oem manuals for your motor. they sre more money but you get the manual just for ypour motor and they have more pitcures

Back