Logo

How easy should the engine be to turn over by hand

freebee

Ive just purchased a 289 which has been in storage. With the spark plugs out should I be able to turn the engine with a socket on the crank pulley?? How easy should it be to turn over??

absolutely...... !! if the engine will not budge .....it is seized. if so......add a liberal amount of marvel mystery oil to eack cylinder.....let sit over night. then try rocking the crank pulley bolt back and forth to see if it frees up. if not a tear down is in order...(heads)

absolutely...... !! if the engine will not budge .....it is seized. if so......add a liberal amount of marvel mystery oil to eack cylinder.....let sit over night. then try rocking the crank pulley bolt back and forth to see if it frees up. if not a tear down is in order...(heads)

Thanks I am in the UK I have never seen Marvel Mystery oil over here. although I have seen it used on American TV programs we get here.

I think I will soak it in diesel and see if it will free off.

DO NOT use the crankshaft bolt if you suspect any resistance! The torque spec for this bolt may be under what would be required to overcome any resistance!

Instead, use a strap wrench around the pulley or harmonic balancer.

Keep in mind that when oiling V engine cylinders, gravity will pull the oil to the low side of the ring landings.
Depending on how much oil you squirt in, at best you may wet only 1/3 of the wall per cylinder.
You'll do better if you can find a way to "mist" oil into each cylinder perhaps with compressed air.

Back