Logo

How Do you Remove Pinion Bearing Shimming up the drive shaft j225txcub87

mokaction

Regular Contributor
"I just recently took apart my

"I just recently took apart my lower end and would like to replace the pinion to drive shaft bearing. Is there a way to removed it out the prop hole? or is it put up out of the drive shaft? Also do I need any special tools? Or can I just rig something up??

Turn out my clutch dog is worn out and needs to be replaced, gear set looked good, with a little roundness, but can still use for a while till I find a deal on ebay.

Also is there a trick to shimming up the drive shaft with out buying a shimming tool??

Larry"

"if u put back the same gears

"if u put back the same gears and drive shaft in the same unit, usually no shimming required

as for the tool, u need a long open end wrench

try CDI electronics for the tool"

"Here is a picture of the end

"Here is a picture of the end of the lower drive shaft. Do you think I can live with this for a while? I will be searching for a good used one. Or if anyone has one please let me know.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.marineengine.com/discus/icons/mime_html.gif""" align=left alt=""text/html"">
[url=""][b]j225txcub87lowerdriveshaft.html[/b][/url] (0.4 k)</td></tr></table></center>"

"Here is the picture..

<[i

"Here is the picture..

61500.jpg
"

also I will replace the thrust

also I will replace the thrust bearing and washer and re-shim it. What do you guys think of the life? Also how in the hell do you pull out the pinion bearing??

Larry

First thing is to remove the s

First thing is to remove the set screw from the side of the gearcase and then pull the bearing out the top using threaded rod and the correct size washers.As to how long your pieces will last is anybody's guess.

"Student,

thinks. I will st

"Student,

thinks. I will start looking for a washer. I was wondering how they put them out. Or if I had to put it through to the prop hole. Then manuel is vag.

Also ending up purchasing a new Drive Shaft. better be safe then sorry. I do take my boat out for 50 mile cruised so If something happens help is not usually around the corner..

Larry"

"alrighty,..new d-shaft...need

"alrighty,..new d-shaft...need to re-shim...your gears are assembled on shaft,and put in d-shaft shimming tool,to determine proper pinion depth into gears.if u r really buying a NEW d-shaft,go ahead,and get new gears ,re-seal kit,wtr pump kit etc ,..fixt it,and forget it...."

"Jwbmarine,

Thx, Ya, Gears

"Jwbmarine,

Thx, Ya, Gears looked good, changing out some of the bearings. Also I do have a shimming tool from GLM, as purchased a new re-seal kit and wtr pump. What I need now is a pinion bearing tool? Have no clue at all where I can find one?

total self do it job is:
Bearings and Clutch dog: $150.00
shimming tool: 161.00
shaft and seals: 360.00
water pump and seal kit already had:
cost for me doing the work, priceless. ;)

Total $671.00"

"sometimes those come out real

"sometimes those come out really easy,try moving it a little..also pay attn to the depth it is in."

"jwbmarine,

the problem is

"jwbmarine,

the problem is which way dues it come out?? up the drive shaft hole or do I push it out of the propeller hole? Also do I need a special tool to measure it when I put it back?

Larry"

"i checked for ya,as i know i

"i checked for ya,as i know i have driven them in....here is the deal-- right out the bible---
v4--drive it out
v-6 use sp tool--391257 to pull up and out of gearcase."

"there is a special note for t

"there is a special note for this gearcase--
*** incorrect inst of the pinion bring drastically reduces life of the bearing.The bearing is tapered,its shape compensates for stresses.The ** LETTERING FACES UP**"

Back