Logo

How do you prime a FWC 318 w a Sherwood D60 pump

jasonious

"Hello,

I have a pair of 19

"Hello,

I have a pair of 1967 318's. These engines are fresh water cooled and use a Sherwood d60 as a coolant recirculating pump. They also use a Jabsco 7777 for Raw water. I recently replaces all my impellers (all SIX of them!) but ran into a problem with one my starboard engine (the one on the left when looking from the back of the boat). This engine turns to the right, CW, when you look at it from the front of the motor.

The D60 has two ports, the back one feeds the exhaust risers and the front one feeds the block. Prior to removing the pumps I drained all the coolant from the engines. Put everything back together, added coolant to the exchanger and started it up. Immediately saw smoke coming from the D60. The rear impeller was cool to the touch, but the front one, nearest the pully was warm. It then dawned on me that there was no coolant in the block. Try as I may, I could not figure out a way to get any coolant in there!

What is the best way to prime the bock? I have the old fashioned thermostat housing. Should I remove that and fill from there? Can I run a hose from somewhere into a bucket of coolant? Is there another trick? Anybody else have this issue?

The poor pump got up to 150 degrees by my laser temp gun. Interestingly, I took it apart after and it looks fine, even though it was somking. I am going to change the impellers anyway, and possibly the seal, just because, but those rubber impellers sure are tough.

One other question. With the Sherwood D60 mounted properly, should the water intake be on the bottom of the pump, with the internal cam facing the engine, or should the intake be on the top, with the internal cam facing away from the engine? Does it change depending on wich way the engine rotates?

Thanks as always for the help."

"I hope you marked those pump

"I hope you marked those pump housings before you removed them, or made a good sketch of how everything went? If not...

Here's a sketch of how the "normal" raw water pumps for Chryslers are set up. This is a single pocket pump, but I believe the thinking of the designers was the same.

Jeff

376476.jpg
"

"Jeff

Thanks for the pictur

"Jeff

Thanks for the picture. I guess I installed my pump upside down! Oh well, live and learn.

Once my new impellers arrive, I'll try it again. Any thoughts on getting coolant into the block? What did (do) people with this setup do in the spring when they put their boats back in the water?"

"Yes, there is, but that fills

"Yes, there is, but that fills the exhaust circuit. The engine block circuit doesn't get any water until the thermostat opens up. I am thinking of removing the thermoststat (I have the old style) and just pouring the coolant in. Will that work?"

"It should, but I'm confus

"It should, but I'm confused on how it's set up. Could you shoot a few photos?

Jeff"

Re: "It should, but I'm confus

I am having the same problem with my D-60 pump. its getting hot. i primed the pump filled both lower hoses with water and its still not right. Anyhelp would be great

Best to begin a new thread, rather than Hi-Jack an existing thread.
Use photos to help show how your pump is oriented.
Give info as to RH/LH engine, etc.

If your impeller was installed with glycerin, it will not heat up for a short run duration...., and it should by all means self-prime.

Back