Logo

How Do I Set Timing on 1993 90HP Evinrude VE90TLETS

WaitUpGuys

Contributing Member
i just finished rebuilding my powerhead and ran it for 8 hours to break it in with 25:1 fuel/oil ratio. Now i need to set the timing on it. Actually i need to check the timing and then set it. I found an old post from Jreeves about setting a 89 Evinrude 90HP but it's several years old and i didn't want to revive a old thread. I understood most of what was in the thread except the bolding section. Can someone explain what I am supposed to be doing? I have a 1993 Evinrude Model VE90TLETS. Engine indicate i should be at 28 degree. Also, how do i tell if i have a "Fast Start" engine?

NOTE: If your engine has the "Fast Start" feature", you must disconnect/eliminate that feature in order to use the following method. The "Fast Start" automatically advances the spark electronically when the engine first starts, dropping it to normal when the engine reaches a certain temperture.

The full spark advance can be adjusted at cranking speed,"without" have the engine running as follows.

To set the timing on that engine, have the s/plugs out, and have the throttle at full, set that timer base under the flywheel tight against the rubber stop on the end of the full spark timer advance stop screw (wire it against that stop if necessary).

Rig up a spark tester on the #1 cylinder plug wire. Hook up the timing light to the #1 plug wire. Crank the engine over and set the spark advance to 4° less than what the engine calls for.
It's a good idea to ground the other plug wires to avoid sparks that could ignite fuel that may shoot out of the plug holes. I've personally never grounded them out and have never encountered a problem (fire) but it could happen.

I don't know the full spark advance setting your engine calls for, but to pick a figure, say your engine calls for 28°, set the timing at 24°. The reasoning for the 4° difference is that when the engine is actually running, due to the nature of the solid state ignition componets, the engine gains the extra 4°.

If you set the engine to its true setting at cranking speed, when running it will advance beyond its limit by 4° which will set up pre-ignition causing guaranteed piston damage! You don't want that to take place.

No need to be concerned about the idle timing as that will take care of itself. The main concern is the full advance setting.

If the engine has Fast Start, there will be two wires leading from the port overheat sensor... disconnect that sensor to eliminate that fast start feature (at least that's what I've been told).

If the block does not have a timing advance stop screw attached to it, capped with a rubber cap, that the timer base bumps up against at a certain spark advance setting.... I strongly suggest that you do not attempt to time the engine using this method as problems may develop.

Random idea...How accurate would it be if i just have the boat in the water, remove the prop, slap the timing sensor to the #1 wire and check/set my timing while running WOT? This way, i can avoid having to ground the plug wires, making a jump wire in order to crank the motor while in gear and with WOT. Would this still be somewhat an accurate way to set timing?

You cannot run that motor with no prop. There is no load, and the engine could be seriously damaged from over-revving or run away condition.

There are very specific ways to get around the problem, but it is kinda complicated to go thru all the possibilities in writing on this site.

You have to know and understand the principles of the link and sync, study the linkage on the motor, and make the temporary modifications to "get around" issues
that are preventing you from WOT timing it.

I could step you thru by phone, with you at the motor at the time. PM if interested.

You cannot run that motor with no prop. There is no load, and the engine could be seriously damaged from over-revving or run away condition.

There are very specific ways to get around the problem, but it is kinda complicated to go thru all the possibilities in writing on this site.

You have to know and understand the principles of the link and sync, study the linkage on the motor, and make the temporary modifications to "get around" issues
that are preventing you from WOT timing it.

I could step you thru by phone, with you at the motor at the time. PM if interested.

Thanks daselbee. I'm gonna try and give this a shot before i have to bug you. However, 2 questions.

base on JR's method. What's the purpose of the spark tester if you all the spark plugs are removed and grounded? Where are you hooking the spark tester to?

When i'm in full throttle, I am still in neutral right? I've seen where people rig some wiring up to allow them to be in gear at WOT when they are cranking to set their timing.

Thanks daselbee. I'm gonna try and give this a shot before i have to bug you. However, 2 questions.

base on JR's method. What's the purpose of the spark tester if you all the spark plugs are removed and grounded? Where are you hooking the spark tester to? When i'm in full throttle, I am still in neutral right? I've seen where people rig some wiring up to allow them to be in gear at WOT when they are cranking to set their timing.

When testing for spark OR setting the timing on various hp models did I ever say anything about grounding the spark plugs or the HT wires. Re-read that setup. I think it would be better if you had someone set the timing on your engine using a factory test wheel.

base on JR's method. What's the purpose of the spark tester if you all the spark plugs are removed and grounded? Where are you hooking the spark tester to?

When i'm in full throttle, I am still in neutral right? I've seen where people rig some wiring up to allow them to be in gear at WOT when they are cranking to set their timing.

You better be careful. That statement is very scary, and suggests that you do not have a good understanding of the task.

For instance, you do know that the engine is NOT running while doing Joe's method, right?

You better be careful. That statement is very scary, and suggests that you do not have a good understanding of the task.

For instance, you do know that the engine is NOT running while doing Joe's method, right?[/QUOTE

Yes, I must be getting different processes mixed up. I've seen where folks wire something to allow them the crank over the motor while it's in gear at full throttle. They have the spark plug wires disconnected and grounded as well as the spark plugs removed. Then one person crank while the other check the timing. Just forget that i've even mentioned this.

So with JR's process, I understand that i remove the throttle cable and have it at full throttle. By doing so i understand now that i'm still in neutral l. I'm confused at the bolded line:

Rig up a spark tester on the #1 cylinder plug wire. Hook up the timing light to the #1 plug wire. Crank the engine over and set the spark advance to 4° less than what the engine calls for.
It's a good idea to ground the other plug wires to avoid sparks that could ignite fuel that may shoot out of the plug holes. I've personally never grounded them out and have never encountered a problem (fire) but it could happen.

I'm just trying to understand what the purpose of hooking a spark tester to wire #1 when you have all 4 spark plugs removed. If i hook up one end of the spark tester to the #1 plug wire, where does the other end go to? All the spark tester i've seen, one end goes to the end of the wire, the other goes on the spark plug (and that plug is still on the motor). This is why i am confused.

Later it mentioned to ground the other wires to avoid sparks that could ignite fuel. I understand that part and planning on doing so. Maybe i'm just making this way harder than it has to be. I know that i can take this to the shop and pay someone to time my motor but i won't learn anything by doing so. I'm sorry if this is frustrating to you seasoned fellas. I'm just trying to get to your level...one question (or 99) at a time. :)

I see where you may have gotten confused as I state "Hook up the timing light to the #1 plug wire. Crank the engine over and set the spark advance to 4° less than what the engine calls for. Then I continue on with....................

We don't get frustrated and we understand that some of the things we say may be confusing or contradictory (it happens). However, we don't want you to take a chance on getting hurt either (and that also happens). Hopefully you can come across someone who has one of those test wheels on a loan basis.

I see where you may have gotten confused as I state "Hook up the timing light to the #1 plug wire. Crank the engine over and set the spark advance to 4° less than what the engine calls for. Then I continue on with....................

We don't get frustrated and we understand that some of the things we say may be confusing or contradictory (it happens). However, we don't want you to take a chance on getting hurt either (and that also happens). Hopefully you can come across someone who has one of those test wheels on a loan basis.

Thanks for the concern Joe. This whole outboard business sure is something! Always learning something new every day.

Welp, i got everything hooked up and timed statically to 24 degree since my manual showing it should be 28 degrees. Now i wait for Saturday to take it out to see how she do. Fingers crossed. I'll check the Cam Follower Pickup Timing when i'm in the water since I need the motor running. Hopefully it's already at 4 degrees per the manual.

Boat ran good today. Took a chance and bisted out the timing gun on the lake today just to see what it was reading under load running full throttle. Showing about 26 degrees. Ran great today. Gonna leave it alone now. Thanks everyone for your time and advice/tips. Happy boating!

Back