Logo

How do I replace the PDS bearing?

Archer112

I've got a volvo penta AQ120b with an AQ270 outdrive. I've got the transmission off and the U-joints and bellow out. I'm looking at a rubber seal around a splined shaft but this seal seems to be rubber coated metal or something. I can't get it out. Anyone know how I get the seal out and get the PDS bearing out?

Pry it out with a screwdriver and then remove the two large snap rings then the PDS and bearing should pull right out. I ground the tips on a large set of needle nose pliers to fit the snap rings unless you have access to a larg set of snap ring pliers?

Note the position of the outer seal you want the spring on the seal facing the gearbox. Also be aware of the shims for the lower bearing in the upper gearbox. It is easy to miss or damage or lose them for reassembly. Be sure and replace the o-rings as well.

I've got a volvo penta AQ120b with an AQ270 outdrive. I've got the transmission off and the U-joints and bellow out.
I'm looking at a rubber seal around a splined shaft but this seal seems to be rubber coated metal or something.
Yes, this is a metal body rubber encapsulated seal.
Actually, it is a 35x62x7mm in a TCM or Timken brand.

I can't get it out. Anyone know how I get the seal out
Yes, run a sheet metal screw into the metal body.
Grab and pull on the screw and the seal should come out.

If that does not work, punch it through with a large straight slot screw driver and twist it out. (you will be installing a new seal anyway)

And yes, as Kim said...... this is installed in the Non-Conventional direction with the lip and tension spring aiming AFT.

As for the shims underneath the transmission, it is critical that the shim value be correct.
To verify, set the transmission and shims in place but minus the O-rings.
Gently snug the four fasteners.
Take multiple feeler gauge readings around the perimeter gap between the two aluminum cases.
You should see readings between .003" and .004".
When O-rings are in place, and when fully tightened, the gap should close.

and get the PDS bearing out?
You will be removing the entire PDS with the 6206 bearing attached.
Once on the work bench, the 6206 bearing will be replaced.
Next..... the assembled PDS goes back in just as it was removed.

Be sure to apply grease to the B/W splined area and to the pilot nose area.

Last edited:
Thank you guys. I finally got the PDS out with bearing attached. I'm working on getting the bearing off the shaft now. So now that the PDS is out I can see another bearing farther in the bell housing. So where do I need to fill with grease? Should I fill that whole cavity between the 2 bearings where the PDS splines in? There's currently no grease in that area. That's why I'm asking.

Thank you guys. I finally got the PDS out with bearing attached. I'm working on getting the bearing off the shaft now.
Remove the small C-clip.
The bearing will now be gently driven AFT and off of the PDS.

So now that the PDS is out I can see another bearing farther in the bell housing.
That is a Flywheel Cover...... (bell housing is an automotive term)
The bearing that you are seeing is in the crankshaft, and is a "carry-over" from the automotive OHC 4 cylinder engine used with the standard transmission.
The pilot nose of the PDS centers within this bearing (it could just as easily be a bronze bushing)

So where do I need to fill with grease?
Look at the 12:00 O'clock position of the flywheel cover just AFT of the engine.

Should I fill that whole cavity between the 2 bearings where the PDS splines in?
With the PDS and new 6206 bearing installed, and prior to the AFT seal being installed, you will now Pre-Fill the grease cavity.
The seal will be installed only after seeing grease exit the ball cage.

There's currently no grease in that area. That's why I'm asking.
I've seen this all too often whereby the cavity is not pre-filled. This shortens the life of PDS bearings.

Also it looks like there's a 2nd seal in front of the bearing. So to replace this PDS bearing should be installing 2 seals?
I doubt that you will be able to gain access to the FWD seal from AFT....... but certainly give it a try.
BTW....... this will be a different seal p/n.

Thank you again for the reply. I'm getting it done little by little. Lol so I took the small snap ring off the PDS but I think the bearing is just rusted on. I'm gonna get some PB blaster today. So the cavity I'm talking about is between that forward most bearing and the aft PDS bearing that I'm replacing. It's a pretty big area. So that whole area needs to be prefilled? Here are some pics where hopefully you'll be able to see the fwd seal I'm talking about. It's sitting literally right in front of the PDS bearing.

Here's a picture of the seal.

Attachments

• IMG_1321.jpg
    IMG_1321.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
What condition is the PDS sealing surface for that forward seal? You can stick the PDS in the pilot bearing with the PDS bearing removed and see if there is any slop in the pilot. Just above the forward seal on the top of the flywheel housing is a grease zert or a plug you can install a zert for pumping the PDS bearing full of grease. The reason the rear seal has the spring facing aft is it gives releaf for the grease to push through the bearing. I was able to put a speedi sleeve on the forward part of the PDS because the shaft was pitted where it rode on the seal. I did not want to buy a new PDS.

The PDS looks solid. A small amount of surface rust. That seal just forward of the PDS where the arrow is pointing in my previous pic looks to be the same size. So I'm thinking the area between the two seals is where the grease goes since fwd of that is the open flywheel cover. I'll look for a zerk up top. I just wanted to know if I should change that seal now. The shaft doesn't seem sloppy in it. It's just strange to me that the bearing on the fwd end of the flywheel cover is open to that dead space in there. I would figure it would have a seal on both sides as well. I don't really see any grease coming through the ball cage either.

Thank you guys. I finally got the bearing off and the new one on and got the PDS back in with the seal installed with spring facing aft. Just waiting on the o-rings to come in the mail to install the transmission. I got permatex contact cement. Is that the right stuff to use?

Back