Logo

How do I remove coils on 1966 Merc 110?

MercMan78

Hey everyone, I just bought this 1966 Merc 110, I know it is a 66 based on the serial number which is 2088925.
The motor has no spark, so I want to replace all the ignition components. So coils, points, condensor, etc. which I have ready to install.
The point and condesor are easy to replace they are just screws but the coils have me stumped. There are what looks to be plastic posts going through them. Do you just grind the top of the post down and then use bolts to screw it in?

I would truly appreicate some guidance as I do not want to destory something that does not need to be forcibly removed, lol.
20210822_190709.jpg
Thanks All!

STOP! the coil laminations are riveted to the stator plate and not meant to be removed. The way to remove the coils is to bend down the metal tab at the center lamination leg that passes through the center of the coil. After bending the tab down, the coil is slid off of the lamination Do you have spark now that you have replaced the points and condensers? Even new points need to be cleaned and dressed and the proper gap set. Coils are getting very hard to find for the engine and yours don't appear to be cracked and leaking. Do not replace the coils unless they are bad, get them tested if you have spark after replacing the points (cleaned and correct gap) and condensers. Please report back before removing the coils!

Back