Logo

How big a truck engine would I need

starlight

"How big an engine in my truck

"How big an engine in my truck would I need to pull my boat about a mile twice a year? It's a 34' Fiberglass houseboat weighing 6 tons, and the trailer I guess is another 2 or 3.
thanks"

"Pulling it isn't a proble

"Pulling it isn't a problem--stopping it is! You could easily pull that with a decent pick-my-up truck, but you'd better have good, operating trailer brakes!

Jeff"

"I once pulled a 23 ft Chriscr

"I once pulled a 23 ft Chriscraft Lancer Deep V w/318 and Volvo drive (2 tons dry) on a one ton trailer with a 1982 Toyota Celica 4 banger w/5 speed manual about a mile. No problems. Trailer had GOOD brakes and it was on level ground. For pulling that same boat up the trailer ramp at the launch site, I used a friend's Ford F250 truck."

Extreme uphill is another thin

Extreme uphill is another thing--should have mentioned that. Interesting how little power is needed to get a trailer moving on level ground.

Jeff

"you'll need at least a 1

"you'll need at least a 1 ton, preferably a dooley, set up with the towing package ( bigger tranny cooler, bigger brakes etc) and at least a class 5 or 6 hitch, your talking about pulling around 16000 lbs"

Back